- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Best High Demand Jobs in Bellevue, Nebraska
Recognized by Bloomberg BusinessWeek
Bellevue, Nebraska is the fastest growing city in the state for two reasons, among others. These two major sources of economic growth are
- A diverse economy with a dedicated ongoing plan of development and
- The Offutt Air Force Base, headquarters of the USAF 55th Wing - The Fightin' Fifty-Fifth.
Offutt also rents space to a number of tenant businesses - the United States Strategic Command, the US Air Force Weather Agency, the Heartland of America Band and many others.
In another dimension of diversity in Bellevue, Offutt AFB deploys on a range of various missions locally and with global reach in an updated, savvy, 21st Century US Air Force. In fact, all branches of the US military enjoy a presence at Offutt AFB. An employee/service pool includes over 10,000 people and rivals Bellevue's WalMart as a large employee group..
Local Air and Space Museum
- Ashland, NE | Strategic Air & Space Museum
- Offutt Air Force Base Jobs
285 offutt air force base jobs available. Find your next offutt air force base job and jump-start your career with Simply Hired's job search engine.
Bellevue, Omaha Suburb Near the State's Eastern Border
- Giving the Right Kind of Care at the Right Time | Boys Town
Boys Town reaches out to help youths and families in need across the United States, becoming a beacon of hope amid their darkness and despair.
- Henry Doorly Zoo
- Lauritzen Gardens - Omaha Botanical Center
Nebraska's Premier Botanical Garden
Fur Traders in Nebraska in the 1800s
The Pawnee Nation controlled Nebraska before the advent of white settlers and remain in the state on a federal reservation. They were well known for fur trading with Europeans in the 1700s.
Bellevue was founded on the site of a fur trading post constructed in 1822 by Joshua Pilcher and the Missouri Fur Company out of St, Louis, Missouri. It was renamed Fontenelle's Post for a French fur trader popular in the area. In fact, be bought the trading post in 1828 for the rival American Fur Company.
Beside the Pawnee Nation, the Omaha, the Otoe, and the Missouri Nations traded there, especially with the French and French Canadians, who named the settlement growing around the post Beautiful View in French. The view was that of the nearby vista of the Missouri River. It is a drawing card today for tourism and business.
The US Federal Government bought the trading post in 1832 for Missouri River Indian (or “Bellevue” Agency. A Baptist Indian mission followed shortly, and the trading post fell into disuse after 1842. Fort Crook was built and later became the current USAFB, contributing through the US Army Air Corps (especially the 61st Army Balloon Company) and the USAF throughout WWI and WWII, adding units of all the military services.
An underground bunker on base was used by the Administration for planning a response to the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center in NYC.
During the post-WWII Cold War, one of the US military generals and rotating support personnel from Offutt flew 24/7 on an EC-135 from February 3, 1961, to July 24, 1990, in Operation Looking Glass. This provided an in-the-air command base in case war was declared during those 29 years.
Bellevue Plans To Succeed
The Bellevue Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1961. Its Board of Directors is all volunteer, accepting no payment. With a professional paid administrative staff, the Chamber implements and follows up on a long-term economic development plan that has made Bellevue the fastest growing place in Nebraska.
Bellevue (French for "Beautiful View") supported 44,382 population in 2000 49,699 in 2008, an increase of nearly 12%, with is significant. It represented the founding of Nebraska as a US State in its 1855 incorporation.
The preschool -12 public education system in Bellevue/Offutt leads the state in proficiency testing scores and produces the largest percentage of high school graduates in Nebraska. Many graduates proceed to local colleges, universities, and technical/career schools with ambition and dedicated goals.
A second local education system is available in Bellevue, made up of private schools that are faith based. These include the following denominations: Catholicism, Seventh Day Adventist, and Non-denominational,
In all PS-12 schools and classrooms in Bellevue, the Pledge of Allegiance is recited every day.
Top Hiring Companies
- Alegent Health
- ConAgra Foods: Food manufacturing
- The Nebraska Medical Center
- First Data Corporation
- Gecko Hospitality: Taco Bell and others
- Tenet Healthcare
- Bellevue Medical Center
- TD Ameritrade: Investments and finance
- Aureus Group: Staffing
- Interim Health Care
- Gallup Organization
- Methodist Health System
- Bank of the West
- Boys Town
- Mutual of Omaha
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
Highest Demand Jobs
- Automotive Tires: Sales, Service, and Mechanic Jobs
- IT Engineers - Software, Systems, and others
- Truck Drivers
- Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Retail Salespersons and Related Jobs
- General and Assistant Managers
- Dentists, Dental Assistants and Hygienists and Lab Techs
- Regional/Multiple Office Managers
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
Often Open Jobs at ConAgra
As the largest employer in the region, by number of workers on the job, Con-Agra aggressively promotes continuous improvement in products, revenues, customer perspective, and employee productivy and health.
Hundreds of jobs are open in the Bellevue-Omaha area as:
- Managers - Continuous Improvement
- Managers of Procurement - Capital
- Manager National Accounts
- Managers - Human Resources
- Start Up Managers, Engineering
- Project Management Specialist
- Engineering Director, Project Management
- Managers - Sensory Insights
- Managers in Information Technology
- Managers in Labor Relations
- Regional Human Resource Manager
- Managers of Customer Insight
- Sr Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Receptionists (Day and Evening Hours)
- Financial Analysts - Internal
Largest Private Employers
- Bellevue Walmart: Second largest private employer in the state, after #1 Tyson Foods.
- Union Pacific Corporation, including the UP Museum
- Alegent Health
- First Data Corp.
- Mutual of Omaha Ins. Co.
- Hy-Vee Food Stores
- First National of Nebraska Inc
- Nebraska Methodist Health System
- Burlington Northern
- Offutt Air Force Base: A leading civilian job lister.
- LGH Medical Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- ConAgra Inc.
- Cabela's Inc.: Cabela's is the store used as the pattern pf the outdoor store featured i TV's Last Man Standing.
Colleges and Universities
- Bellevue University- www.bellevue.edu - Formerly Bellevue College, this institution expanded to become the fastest growing school in the state.
- Clarkson College - www.clarksoncollege.edu
- College of Saint Mary - www.csm.edu
- Creighton University - www.creighton.edu
- Dana College - www.dana.edu
- Grace University - www.graceu.edu
- Metropolitan Community College - www.mccneb.edu
- University of Nebraska at Omaha - www.unomaha.edu
- University of Nebraska Medical Center - www.unmc.edu
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS