College Town Review: Jobs Double in Boulder, Colorado
University of Colorado College Town
Boulder, Colorado is home to over 97,000 people in 2013 with young median age of 29.; and, according to Sperling's Best Places, 70% of the population is unmarried. Boulder supports employment for nearly 98,000 workers, some being commuters from Denver and its suburbs. Boulder is the target of ongoing community and business development through a long-term, 25-year development plan operated by city officials, who expect contined growth.
The population of the city grew gradually from 1890 to 1950, when it shot up geometrically from 1950 to 2009. Declining somewhat in 2010, the population began to grow thereafter. The city has grown as a suburb of Denver, a scant 28 miles away among other suburbs of Broomfield, Westminster, Littleton, Thornton, Lakewood, Aurora, Centennial, Englewood, and several others within the Route 400 and E-470 Outerbelt Route 36, The Denver-Boulder Turnpike runs Southeast to Broomfield, just 13 miles away and the location of a sizable portion of Boulder jobs.
The Top 10 Local Employers include the following:
- University of Colorado
- IBM Corporation
- Boulder Valley School District RE2
- Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corporation
- Community Hospital Association
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- City of Boulder Government
- Boulder County Government
Boulder Job Trends - Significant Increase In Jobs Maintained During 2012 - 2013Click thumbnail to view full-size
Boulder Jobs Double 2009 - 2013
SimplyHired.com reports that the change in numbers of jobs advertised in May 2012 compared to May 2013 in the Denver Area is a positive 45%.
In Mid-June 2013, over 68, 500 jobs were listed within 25 miles of the city center of Boulder. This is twice as many job istings as found the same period in 2009.
Best Hiring Companies
- Exempla Healthcare
- Centura Health
- Denver Health and Hospital Authority
- University of Colorado
- Kaiser Permanente
- Supplemental Health Care
- Lockhee Martin
- American Mobile Healthcare
- Ball Aerospace
- HCA healthcare
- Broookdale Senior Living
- MarkWest Energy
Top 15 High Demand Job Listings
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Truck Drivers
- Medical Assistants
- Software Engineers
- Project Managers
- Retail Salespeople
- IT Systems Managers
- Quality Engineers and Managers
- Asssistant and Associate Professors
- Professional Researchers
- Automotive Technicians
- Physical Therapists
- Research Associates
- Store Managers
Government-Projected Fastest Growing Jobs to 2018
The state government predicts that the fastest growing occupational titles in the Boulder-Longmont labor market will be:
- IT/Computer Specialists - listed above.
- Food Prep and Service - listed above
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - listed above.
- Personal and Health Aides
- Postesecondary Teachers - college level. Listed above.
- Software Engineers - listed above.
- Business Operations Specialists
- Health Techs
- Doctors and other Primary Healthcare Practitioners
- K-12 and Special Education Teachers - Denver Public Schools is a leading hiring company.
Higher Education In and Near Boulder
- Arts Insitute of Colorado
- Boulder Valley Technical Center
- The Coach Training Alliance - Life Coaches
- Colorado School of Mines
- Colorado Technical University
- DeVry University
- Emily Griffith Opportunity School - Adult career educaton and High School.
- Heritage College
- Homeopathy School of Colorado
- Front Range Community College
- Lexicon College
- Longs Peak Academy
- Metropolitan State College
- Naropa University
- Pepperdine University at Boulder
- Rasmussen College
- Regis University
- Red Rocks Community College
- Redstone College
- Rivendell College
- Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design
- Rocky Mountain Film Center
- The Rolf Institute® of Structural Integration
- Sann Research Insitute
- Southwest Acupuncture College
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- Yorktown University
- Westwood College
Highlight: Colorado School of Mines
In December of '09, approximately 11,000 mining jobs were open in the US in the following job titles:
- Engineering Technicians
- Engineering Aids
- Supply Chain Technical Analysts
- Metals Guide
- Insulation Workers
- Project Managers
- Mining Engineers
- Senior Geotechnical Professionals
Colorado School of Mines offers programs and degrees that ready professionals for mining careers, which include alternate energy and alternative fuels, not only coal. The website of the school in nearby Golden, Colorado, is located here: http://chemistry.mines.edu/.
Study and degree programs include:
The Department of Chemistry and Geochemistry:
- BS in Chemistry with focus on Applied Chemistry, Biochemistry, Environmental Chemistry, or Geochemistry.
- Graduate degrees: Chemistry, Applied Chemistry - MS and PhD.
- Additional graduate degrees: 1) MS, Professional Master's Degree, and PhD in Geochemistry. and 2) MS and PhD in Materials Science, Hydrological Sciences, and Engineering.
Graduate students receive various stipends to support their study and work each year of their study and research.
The education received from this school can also lead graduates to jobs in chemistry and geology besides those in mining.
Attraction and Events
Boulder features a number of vineyards and breweries that offer tours and tastings to groups and individuals on tour. Boulder and Longmont each have their own Farmer's Market, a concept that is growing in popularity across America in its homegrown localvore flavor.
Just a few of the other Boulder attractions include:
- Boulder History Museum
- Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art
- Boulder International Fringe Festival - A yearly arts festival in August, this event is full of independent artists of all genres, and advertised as totally unjuried and uncensored. Just 6 years old in 2009, the festival traces its beginning back to 1947 Scotland. You may find puppets and circus art alongside dane and theater. Visit the website at: http://www.boulderfringe.com.
- Boulder International Film Festival - Held in the winter.
- Colorado Shakespeare Festival
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Company
- Boulder Dam and Reservoir
- Chautauqua Park & Auditorium
- Frequent Flyers - An aerial dance company.
- Historic Downtown Boulder - A revitalized downtown are with an ongoing development plan usually spurs economic and residential growth and provides a wonderful shopping, cultural, and gathering place.