How do you monetize Squidoo?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I am scratching my head neutral

I have a page on Squidoo that gets some good traffic. In a range of 1000 views per day. At the same time, they pay me peanuts for it. My similar HP page that gets times less traffic brings me times more money! Go figure what they do with my money? yikes

So I realized I am giving my money away, and now I want to monetize this page in my own way. Hence I am asking those who has an experience with monetizing Squidoo to share some tips and tricks, if possible.

Any help is much appreciated smile

1. mortaine profile image63
      mortaineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea. A few months ago when I tried out Hubpages and Squidoo for the first time, I found that I liked Hub's traffic, but I preferred Squidoo's modules and content tools. Ultimately, I find I can bring the content myself, but I'd rather have article creation here look more like Squidoo, but with Hubpages' traffic-building. I don't know what hubpages does, but I get nothing on Squidoo, and it doesn't even show up on searches. Meanwhile, my hubs are very easy to find on Google and elsewhere.

2. ccdursina profile image69
      ccdursinaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha

I recently found this info.

When are you on your main page look on the bottom left for the following:

Don't miss this tool!

Drag the link below to the Favorites bar in your browser. When you see something online that relates to one of your lenses, click it to update your lens!

Squidoo This! <<< Drag this to favorites bar

* Payment Settings Manager
          * Got firefox? Grab the Squidoo Firefox extension
          * Transfer a lens
          * Refer a friend (and earn a bonus!)
          * Manage your Custom Lens Template

I hope this helps a little
      Carolina D.

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes the bookmark tool, I've used that one on several occasions and it has been quite useful and easy to use.
        Especially relevant links.

3. Silver Rose profile image66
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use Commission Junction and Affiliate Window.

Squidoo is great in that they make it easy to put HTML banners and other affiliate stuff on (for the banners, just choose the Text with big picture module and drop the HTML in it).

Because it's your own affiliate ID, you keep the lot, and most CJ merchants have a 30 day cookie.

Just a few notes: before you apply to be a CJ merchant, make sure that the lens in question has good pagerank and traffic, as the merchants are picky and turn you down. I did a hub on affiliates - see Best Affiliate Networks

You might also want to take a look at Captain squid's blog, he makes a fortune from affiliate marketing via Squidoo. Here's the link:

http://www.captainsquid.com/

All the good stuff is in his archives, you will have to dig a bit. He's got some videos on there too about how to go about using CJ with Squidoo.

Hope this helps

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks Mortaine smile

It's not exactly what I was asking about though. I am pretty much proficient in building both lenses and hubs, as well as in bringing traffic to them. In my experience HP is better if you use sort of set it and forget it approach, it brings in some traffic all by itself. However, Squidoo responds much better to active promotion, and almost all of my Squidoo pages outrank my corresponding HP pages.

My problem is Squidoo does not pay anywhere near HP for the same traffic, hence an attempt to use other means of monetizing them smile

3. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

why dont you remove the article from Squidoo and bring it to hubpages, just leave a paragragh and a link on your squidoo page redirecting them your new one here.....jimmy

4. davidjudon profile image58
    davidjudonposted 15 years ago

I have to agree with Jimmy, it only makes sense.

The free traffic will monetize itself.

Goood luck,

David D. Ju'Don

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Jimmy, thanks smile

I was thinking about something like that. There is a problem with such an approach - if I truncate this Squidoo lens significantly, it won't get such good rankings it enjoys now, and traffic will subside. I do have a link from Squidoo to my corresponding hub though, this we agree on smile

6. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks David,

I'm afraid traffic does not monetize itself, one has to make an effort to do this. And the smarter the effort, the better results one gets smile

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Maybe a mix of Amazon modules and other modules that you can work in there, I mean your Safe driving lens is just crying out for a prominent amazon spotlight on a safe driving manual or something and your handbags lens could use some extra variations, maybe from external third party affiliate links. An Amazon search module can be quite useful, especially if there are lot of products in a specific category as you can list up to 9 products that show and then the pages and search box too.

This is what I am trying to do, a little time consuming I admit, but it helps to focus on a bunch of related lenses and tie them all together if relevant!

8. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Wow! Thanks Wayne for taking your time and looking at my lenses!

I will definitely think how I can fit your suggestions there.

The problem is - those are not the lenses I was asking about, they get minimal traffic of a few users a day. I was talking about mapquest lens, and it does not really have a strong tie to any kind of product except may be GPS, what I am currently testing there, but without much luck...

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL That was not exactly the question guys. Thanks for trying anyway smile

10. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

I think traffic makes difference at the HP as there are chances of more clicks of adsense ads but this advantage is not available at squidoo as revenue from adsense is distributed proportionately according to lens/lensmaster's rankings by squidoo. This leave few options for monetizing a lens. Product sales using Amazon, eBay, Cafepress etc and this will depend on the origin of traffic from where you are getting this traffic. Online purchases are minimal from Asian/African countries. If you have traffic from European countries, there are chances of earning more money from product sales. You can earn good money through referrals but these referrals have to be active.

11. ArtSiren profile image60
    ArtSirenposted 15 years ago

I think you can use affiliate programmes on Squidoo also - other than their own eBay, Amazon etc money-making modules. Quite a lot of lenses, for example, carry images from AllPosters dot com, so they get their images without the copyright hassles, and if visitors like the pics they can click and buy them - you'll get your commission.

You'll just need to search around for affiliate programmes that fit the themes of your most popular lenses, and see if that produces any decent results. Hope this is what you are asking about.

12. relache profile image67
    relacheposted 15 years ago

You can monetize a Squidoo lens any way you can.

Use your own Amazon account and put in links by hand, you don't have to share any commission that way.  Now, sales on a lens via the built-in retail modules does give a boost to lensrank, so you will give that up if you go via your own account.  It's kind of a toss-up.

Use affiliate programs, you don't get penalized.  Javascript and fancy links aren't allowed, but anything you can link to via basic HTML will work.

If you have good traffic on a lens but can't quite get the conversions you want, try directing traffic from there to someplace else on the net you have related content but earn better.  You don't have any restrictions on what you link to from a lens.

13. johnr54 profile image47
    johnr54posted 15 years ago

First of all, I agree the payout on Squidoo for like lenses is terrible.

Related to affiliate links on Squidoo, I've seen some folks use links built with Popshops quite effectively.  This allows deep links from merchant datafeeds.  Another thing I tried for a while with little success (but mainly  due to the traffic on the lens)  was to use an RSS feed from Amazon's best sellers with my own affiliate ID.

However, I have never had much luck with Squidoo, it runs about 10% of my Hubpages earnings.

However, traffic isn't everything.  Even here on Hubpages my highest traffic hubs are not usually my best earners.  Definitely depends on the topic and the ability to have relevant Amazon products (my Amazon earnings are usually higher than the Adsense earnings.)

1. 2besure profile image81
      2besureposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  14. Jezzzz profile image45
    Jezzzzposted 14 years ago

The only real money that I have ever made from squidoo has either come from eBay or from adsense.  So, I tend to have eBay modules on my lens and I also have links that either link to my primary websites that I build in conjunction to my lens or have the links affiliate to an affiliate site through said websites.

15. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Squidoo is one of the few places that I haven't been able to successfuly monetize. No matter what I do, I don't every seem to make much money. I've just about given up.

16. cherese j nunez profile image60
    cherese j nunezposted 14 years ago

Everybody seems to forget that squiddo shares all profits with everyoneelse, your not just makiking mmoney for yourself, it is a shared thing. so monitizing it is not possible.

17. phonereversetrace profile image59
    phonereversetraceposted 14 years ago

For monetization reasons, it's really going to be better to use Squidoo as a platform to promote your own website. I would treat any income from Squidoo as nothing more than icing on the cake, and not a main source of revenue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)