jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)

Amazon Rips me off as AFFILIATE AGAIN

1. MikeNV profile image73
    MikeNVposted 5 years ago

I wanted to test my affiliate links. So I had a friend log on to one of my sites.  Click through on a link.  And then buy something cheap from Amazon.

I have been an affiliate marketer for more than 10 years now, it's how I make my living.

I checked to make sure the cookie had been set.

No credit for the sale.

Typical big company ripping off an affiliate Again.  Not the first time.

So if you think that Amazon is a great way to make money think again.  It's bad enough they only have a 24 hour cookie, but to not credit sales on a fresh browser refresh and a verified cookie that's inexcusable.

1. Lipnancy profile image95
      Lipnancyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jimmythejock is right. It was my understanding that you will receive commissions on every other  sale in Amazon. Try it again and I am sure the result will be better.

2. kgala0405 profile image86
      kgala0405posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't recommend that you do this.  This type of practice is against the terms of service for the Amazon Affiliate program.  If Amazon were to figure out what you were doing they could ban your account. You agreed to these TOS when you signed up for your account.  Here is a link for reference:  https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp … agreement/

If you read section 7 you will see that they don't pay out for this type of practice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is using IP tracking software rather than cookie placement.

Maybe you misunderstood me,I meant to say tell his friend to try again. I know as affiliate you cannot buy from your own links.

1. kgala0405 profile image86

My reply was for MikeNV.  However, I did  understand your comment, and I was trying to be helpful by pointing out what Amazon's terms of service say about this.  They say that you can't tell your friends to click on your links to buy things.  That would basically turn Amazon's affiliate program into a discount program for friends and family.  Asking your friends and family to click on your links can get you banned from the program.

Thank you so much for educating me. I did not know that you could not give your links to friends.

No problem, I'm glad I could help.  I looked through your hubs and your hub on healing with crystals was very interesting.  I have a friend who is interested in holistic health, I will have to show him your article.  smile

Thank you so much.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
            Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True, but how do they know who your friends are?  They don't hack into your email contacts or send a private investigator to track your movements.  I'd be surprised if anyone has been caught for this "offence".  Anyway, I think it's the most short-sighted rule I ever heard of!  By telling your friends and family you're selling Amazon, they're more likely to buy from Amazon.  So far from costing Amazon money, it's more likely to bring them more customers.

Not that it would work for me, because Amazon doesn't operate in Australia and the shipping costs usually make it uneconomic to order stuff from the US site.

Anyway, the OP is not saying he recruits friends on a regular basis.  He asked ONE friend to order something from his website (not his Hubs) because he suspected commissions weren't being paid on every sale.  Sounds like they're not.  Whether it's because of a deliberate Amazon ploy or just an inefficient tracking system, I don't know, but it is a worry.

2. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 5 years ago

You have to remember that Hubpages accounts for 40% of Amazon sales too, your friend could have bought the item when a hubpages ad impression was showing on your hub.....jimmy

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jimmy, he said "one of his sites", not HubPages.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Kgala: Amazon may be using IP tracking too, because if you purchase something from your affiliate link, you do not get credit for the sale. The only way they would know this is by knowing if you are using the same computer you set up your account on.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I looked this up.  It is confusing.  Amazon has different ways to do tracking, so if you cheat and get caught you don't get credit, and get banned altogether. The best thing to do is to contact Amazon and find out why no credit.

I agree, contacting Amazon with your questions is the best way to go.

2. profile image0
        Hubdooblrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To Amazon:
        Dear Amazon,

I was curious to see if you guys were really paying me the way you should, so I had my friend click on one of my links, and buy something. I "even checked to make sure the cookie was set", and yet I didn't get credit for the sale! What's going on?

Sincerely,
        Concerned Affiliate

From Amazon:
        Dear Concerned Affiliate,

Thank you for pointing out your violation of our Terms of Service. Most affiliates are not nearly as cooperative. We sincerely thank you for helping us make Amazon the best Affiliate program on the web.

In response to your question, I can promise you that this mistake won't happen again, as we have just deactivated your account and banned you from the Affiliate program.

Thanking you again for your assistance,
        Amazon.com

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Well, just shows, you cheat, you lose.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

http://askville.amazon.com/signup-amazo … Id=7029151   Gives some information on Amazon policy.

Closed to reply

working