jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Pitfalls to avoid when starting a new business

1. The Real Tomato profile image64
    The Real Tomatoposted 9 years ago

Pitfalls to avoid when starting a new business

2. alekhouse profile image83
    alekhouseposted 8 years ago

After being in business for 15 years, I can now look back and, with a more realistic perspective, see what I did wrong or could have done better when starting my up my bed and breakfast.

First of all, I should have known more about the type of business I was getting into. I had a very romantic notion of what a bed and breakfast was, although I did do a lot of reading on what was available on the subject.

But, it's what I didn't do that may have made a difference. I did not, but should have: 1. scoped out B&Bs on the internet, 2. talked at length to B&B owners 3. spent the night in several different kinds of B&Bs and 4. gone to a major industry conference or two. 5. found a seasoned B&B owner to me my mentor.

Secondly, I should have talked to a lawyer about the business aspects involved. And, I should have had a business plan.

Thirdly, I should have investigated all the zoning laws, historic, city, health and fire regulations.

Finally, I should have had more money at the onset. Or, at least, sat down with someone knowledgeable about the business and discussed the initial costs involved.

To be perfectly honest, I am a risk taker and, if I had done all of the above, I probably wouldn't have gone into business at all. However, my business turned out to be very successful and I attribute that to pure blood, seat and tears.

3. oderog profile image43
    oderogposted 8 years ago

focus, business plan, marketing plan these are some of the things you must have, check on my common small business start up mistakes

4. profile image48
    mitnexusposted 8 years ago

as an entrepreneur who has successfully started two small businesses of my own and a few for other people.i have had seen a number of pitfalls that can destroy any business; big or small. here are a few as outlined in my hub http://hubpages.com/hub/smart-small-business

•    Giving room to frustration:

•    Being afraid to delegate:

•    Not separating company’s account from owners account:

•    Resenting criticisms:

•    Keeping your plans to yourself:

•    Relying on one source of funding:

•    Improper financial record keeping:

5. Wilsonsorin2011 profile image55
    Wilsonsorin2011posted 6 years ago

Frankly, I'm a host of risk and, if I had you during all the above, it has been running businesses in all. My business was very successful and pure blood, sweat and seat.