jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What exactly is an "outdoor amusement business"?

1. M Cassian profile image55
    M Cassianposted 8 years ago

What exactly is an "outdoor amusement business"?

When I hear that term I think of Carnival's and the games that cheat people out of their money. But please, correct me if I'm wrong! Also I would like to point out, just as a fun fact, that the word "muse" means "to meditate on" or essentially to be in thought, and the prefix "a-" means "not" or "without." So to be amused essentially means, "to be without thought." I'm not critisizing! I'm just sayin'. Grace to you!

2. DL Bailey profile image55
    DL Baileyposted 8 years ago

You would be correct in your understanding of the word "amusement". Not many realize this when they go to a carnival midway. So the term does not apply to those working, but those in attendance. But I would like to point out the definition of which can be found in nearly any common dictionary of which this term of the word applies.
    1.  make somebody laugh: to make somebody smile or laugh or think that something is funny 
    2.  keep somebody happily occupied: to keep somebody occupied or entertained by providing entertainment or an interesting task.

My area of expertise would fall in the last mentioned, interesting task.

It is unfortunate that your only recollection of a carnival is that of which you mention, "games that cheat people out of their money", as there are many great facets to this world that could be conjured up besides this. I will admit that many games of the past, and a few of present day, did and do fit this bill. However, to say that they all do would be a falsity. Much of this has stopped due to stricter regulations by both the states and federal government. Not only that, but by the many independent owners on various shows due to the fact they can lose their contract with the any said show for not enforcing this in their games.

Not to criticize, but proverbs 18:13 says,
    "He who answers before listening - that is his folly and his shame."

Also, I would not be considered in the least "to be without thought", as I only attended the carnival in that capacity untill I was 13 years old. After such time I have been on the other side.
    Peace. (

3. M Cassian profile image55
    M Cassianposted 8 years ago

Forgive me for making a generality. I know not all the games are rigged, and I also know of the laws in place. I was making a statement on a "general (consumer) consensus" with a light heart. So I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

I also wasn't assessing your capacity for thought on the "amused" thing. It's just a fun fact that I learned recently and wanted to share out of my own excitement. smile

And yes, I am still working on that whole "think before you speak" thing, and I know that scripture well. So I thank you for loving me enough to mention that.

And the reason I ask about your profession is because the links to fosselizedcustoms that you posted on some of the questions got me curious.

I still don't know what to think about the stuff that I read on that website. And I want to dig a little.

4. Hammers13 profile image55
    Hammers13posted 8 years ago

No clue really but best guess is a business that specializes in outdoor amusements...

5. pendell2 profile image60
    pendell2posted 8 years ago

Outdoor Amusement Businesses might also include those aimed at children and teens.   A common configuration might include go-carts, baseball batting cages, and mini-golf in one location.

As a general observation, I have seen a number of the businesses closed down and /or for sale recently.  They have probably been hit harder than most businesses in the recent recession.

That said, you could probably pick one of these businesses up cheaply if you had reason to believe that the economy in your area is on the mend, or you have specific skills in this area, like having run one in the past, can offer batting lessons as well, are good at marketing to kids, etc.

working