I just got a letter today from a past employer telling me to cease all communica

1. profile image44
    rukiddingmeposted 8 years ago

I just got a letter today from a past employer telling me to cease all communication with former...

and current employees of the same place.  Is this legal?  The letter says it has come to the director's attention that former employees may have violated confidentiality (a treatment facility) and /or code of ethics.  The tx director says that if I comply it may stop the need for further legal action.  Can she do this? I have NOT violated any client's confidentiality.

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

I'm almost certain that your past employer cannot dictate who you talk to.  However, talking with the employees (past or present) of this facility may not be to your benefit.  It may put you under a cloud of suspicion that you will have a hard time disproving.

In order to successfully prosecute you in a court of law, they would have to prove that you HAVE violated the confidentiality agreement / code of ethics that you are bound to.

To be on the safe side, see a lawyer.  You can probably obtain a lawyer's advice for a relatively modest sum by going to your local university.  Most law students have a workshop they run whereby they assist members of the communities and obtain valuable practice by handling cases for a very small amount.  Some lawyers will give you half-an-hour of advice for $15.00 (available in Canada at least).

Good luck!

3. profile image46
    Eli-Ane Phillips-posted 8 years ago

I would tell that employer the bees may kiss the trees, the trees may kiss the breeze, the sparkling wine may kiss the glass and they can kiss your derriere.  I would send them a letter threatening defamation of character even though it is hard to prove in court.  Don't let them bully you.

working