jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If You Have A Business, Would You Offer Your Services At Huge Discounts To Membe

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

If You Have A Business, Would You Offer Your Services At Huge Discounts To Members Of Your Family?

2. Dobson profile image81
    Dobsonposted 7 years ago

In many cases there is the expectation that you should or would if asked. What people don't realize is that most businesses have a razor thin margin, so too much discount work cannot be absorbed without affecting the bottom line.

3. profile image0
    kjsand01posted 7 years ago

I do. My family and I have trade offs. You do this for me and I do that for you type deals. However, I would caution most persons about this type of dealing. I've seen many burned by their family members whom they thought they could trust. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones!

4. profile image0
    Schizophrenic Duoposted 7 years ago

I always have, but, I suspect that family members would not pay me more than they would elsewhere simply because we are related.

5. Bolthorn profile image54
    Bolthornposted 7 years ago

In all likelihood they won't be able to appreciate what the service really costs.  I did something for my sister once telling her I would charge her for materials only.  She refused to believe the materials cost what they did and I took a loss on the job rather than argue with a family member.

If you are in a financial position to provide things for your family even if you don't get paid appropriately, and want to do so because you love them, go ahead.  If not, then tell them you are not comfortable doing work for family.  If you try to straddle that line you will find yourself with family friction and neither your work nor your family will be a happy place for you.

6. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 7 years ago

If I had a business, I would NOT offer huge discounts to family members. It would be unfair to other consumers. I would probably give a small discount and greater discounts if they contribute to the growth of the business.

7. telltale profile image74
    telltaleposted 7 years ago

I would probably offer them incentives, like free service to them if they can get their friends to purchase from me. The word 'free' can go a long long way...