jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If laid off does the employer have to offer you your job back before they hire s

1. profile image49
    ogreunderhillposted 7 years ago

If laid off does the employer have to offer you your job back before they hire someone else to...

do your job?

2. fibo777 profile image60
    fibo777posted 7 years ago

It would be good. In terms of social responsibility they should do that. But what if they do not have any spot for the guy? Much depends also on the reason why the person was fired. If he was not doing what he was supposed to do I guess the employer is not obliged to offer the person anything.

3. vicki simms profile image74
    vicki simmsposted 7 years ago

If you are made redundant in England, I know that you have to by law offer the person you made redundant their job back before advertising to anyone else. I know this because 2 years ago I had to make several redundancies and received extensive training on the sensitive subject so yes they do (in engalnd) I dont know about anywhere else.

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

There is a difference between sacking someone and a job becoming redundant so the employ is laid off.  Here in England, if the job becomes available again within, I believe, 6 months, the employer has to offer the ex-employee the job back, something employers are reluctant to do as they will have paid redundancy money.  Often they change the title or duties slightly to get out of it.  That is a very simplified run down.

working