jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

When looking for a job, do you have an advantage if you already have one?

1. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

When looking for a job, do you have an advantage if you already have one?

Is it better to be currently employed and looking for a job, or to have quit respectfully or have been laid off prior to searching?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image87
    Mark Ewbieposted 7 years ago

It's always better to be currently employed.  You are operating from a stronger position.  If they really want you, they will wait.

3. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 7 years ago

I just read a good article about this. It quoted an experienced recruiter who said that in today's economy, it is much better to already have a job. Employers can apparently sense an unemployed person's desperation.

4. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I thought. If you find a link to that article, by all means please share!  I think also...perhaps if you are laid off, potential employers will wonder why it was you that was laid off and not someone else.

5. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

There's a definite bias against those currently unemployed. In some cases, employers are actually telling unemployed job seekers they need not apply for an opening.

6. dusy7969 profile image61
    dusy7969posted 7 years ago

I think so, if only because you are more confident because you don't really need the job. In my industry, construction, it is very clear that people who are with a firm have a huge advantage when looking.

7. balthasarcontent profile image55
    balthasarcontentposted 7 years ago

Employers definitely have a preference toward those who already are employed and have fewer or no gaps in their employment.  Looking for a job while employed however may get you fired from your present occupation.  And looking for work while physically at your current place of employment is a definite way to lose your job.

8. s.carver profile image72
    s.carverposted 7 years ago

I think it is definitely better already to have a job if you are looking for a new one. You are coming from a position of confidence and strength that way, and I believe employers can't help but be slightly biased against someone who isn't working (Why don't they have a job? If they were laid off, how come they were chosen to leave rather than someone else? If they are out of the work force, have the lost skills/are they still current on new developments in the industry? etc.)
    The sad fact that people who have a job are more likely to be hired into a new job is one reason the high unemployment rate is so scary — the longer someone is out of work, the harder it is to land a new job.

9. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image80
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 7 years ago

You definately have the advantage over someone who is unemployed.  Especially if you have been unemployed for a period of time.

10. genejr1224 profile image56
    genejr1224posted 7 years ago

Absolutely! Especially now. Employers have the advantage right now. If you are unemployed they tend to believe your last company  you were employed with at did not like you or thought not to highly of you and let you go.

11. profile image51
    James Gregposted 6 years ago

Yes it shows that you are worth hiring as the previous company still agrees to pay you for your services and you are not a loser. Also if you fail to acquire the job you appeared for the interview you would not be unemployed after all.