jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do doctors work such long hours?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image66
    BlissfulWriterposted 7 years ago

Why do doctors work such long hours?

I'm referring to the medical internist that works 24-hour shifts or more.  Are there any doctors here?  Any links to any references on the web?

2. oldhorse profile image65
    oldhorseposted 7 years ago

My guess is it is just part of the culture of the doctor profession.  If you don't work the long hours, your peers won't accept you.

3. Michaelmas profile image65
    Michaelmasposted 7 years ago

There is a minimum requirement of hours that residents are required to perform. The medical community, the state, and federal regulations decide how many hours of certain procedures or roles that residents need.

4. profile image0
    Dandraposted 7 years ago

To pay off their BMWs                                                                           /

5. zduckman profile image60
    zduckmanposted 7 years ago

because there are a lot of cute nurses in hospitals

6. FaithDream profile image81
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

I think it's because they want to get it right. They have to practice. :-)

7. Ken Barton profile image56
    Ken Bartonposted 7 years ago

This isn't Funny!  Working long shifts is not responsible behavior on their part.  After so many hours without rest their judgment is impaired and mistakes are more likely to happen.  They are educated individuals and know this, so why do they continue this behavior?  The only reason I can think of is they really think they are 'All That', or to put it another way, "They're full of themselves."

working