jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why are movies getting longer and longer?

1. i scribble profile image82
    i scribbleposted 5 years ago

Why are movies getting longer and longer?

It seems that more and more movies are 'surpassing' my usual movie fatigue threshhold of 2 hours. I can understand for epics like Lincoln and Les Miserables (each about two and a half hours). But consider these:  Skyfall 2hr30m; This is 40, 2hr15m; Silver Linings Playbook 2hrs; Django 2hr45m; Zero Dark Thirty 2hr30m; Jack Reacher 2hr10m.  And the exaggerated length of the Hobbit (2hr45m) , complete with 2 musical numbers & 2 sequels to come, has become a joke!  Who says longer is better?

2. jaydawg808 profile image92
    jaydawg808posted 5 years ago

Not sure why they're longer, given the short attention span of many people out there. However, you are getting your money's worth based on how expensive tickets are!

i scribbleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

jaydawg,
      Good point about the short att. span of the masses, exacerbated by constant multimedia stimulation. My problem is more like stiff legs, needing to pee, getting hungry, or more likely, bloated from too much popcorn and Coke!

3. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

All the movies that have come out recently for some reason seem to hit the 2 hours mark and some are over 2 hrs long. If it's good then fair enough. 

A few people have said to me the film 'The Hobbit' could have been shorter as they added in bits that were not in the book. Since I didn't see it I can't answer that but seriously anything over 2 hrs it just 2 hrs too long.

Sometimes short and too the point work. smile

Yea, certain movies are so good that 3 or 4 hrs wouldn't be 2 long. But that's a small minority & the list would differ with individual tastes. I'm wondering if people spend more on concessions when a movie is long or if it's just vanity of filma

4. profile image0
    DanaMarie411posted 5 years ago

I personally find that sometimes longer is better if the story is good. Of course, sometimes stories are long and drawn out and just drag. To me time is not the issue, my tolerance is dependent on the storyline.

I rather enjoy a 2hr 45min movies that has actually entertained me. I find it an relaxing escape.

So in answer to your second question "Who says longer is better?"

Me! I sometimes say that!

DM,
      Thanks for weighing in.  Yes, I agree it does depend on the movie.   I don't mind the length of something like Lincoln or Argo or Gone With the Wind.  But 3 hrs. of a Bond movie is a bit too much!

5. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Those that want to win awards are more likely to do so if the movie is longer. I think that's a crock but if you look at the length of the majority of winners, they are at least 2 hours long if not 2-1/2 hours. I don't like extra long movies cause I need a restroom break or two by the 2-1/2 hour mark so I missed a bit of The Great Gatsby smile

i scribbleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Finally someone offers a plausible explanation!  Thanks for the insight, Express 10.

working