jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Should there be a dress code for office workers?

1. Pam Pounds profile image77
    Pam Poundsposted 6 years ago

Should there be a dress code for office workers?

2. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 6 years ago

Yes there should be depending upon what kind of office it is and the clients that may be coming there to do business with the company.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

As much as I would love to wear whatever I wanted to work, I know a dress code is still a necessary evil.  I worked at an office before that did not believe in dress codes and some of the outfits were outright scary.  Old, pink sweatpants are never appropriate for an office - any office!  Yet, I saw those walk their way in more than once.  If you let some people make their own decisions, nothing good can come of it.

4. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 6 years ago

It depends upon the office.If it is a financial institute or sales & marketing then there must be a dress code.otherwise, dress code is not necessary.

5. reena_yadav profile image77
    reena_yadavposted 6 years ago

Yes, there should be a dress code for office workers. In the place where i work, we have a formal dress code from Mondays through Thursdays. It is only on Fridays that we are allowed to be casual, ie, jeans.

For those staff who meet clients & customers, etc, they have to maintain their formal dress code throughout the week.

What one wears during office hours reflects the organization and definitely creates an impression for first time visitors or customers who walk into the office.

After all, what is the point of having a fantastic office in a prime location when staff dress in inappropriate attire.

6. CZCZCZ profile image84
    CZCZCZposted 6 years ago

Really depends on the company and the roles of the individuals, customer facing individuals should have a more strict dress code than individuals stuck in cube land or engineers in the server room etc.  However decency should always be enforced, just cause you have a relaxed dress code does it mean it is acceptable to do absolutely whatever it is you wish.

7. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I think there should be a dress code for people in general!  Dressing the part is an important part of conducting business. To answer your question, yes there should be a dress code for office workers.  I have had several jobs where people could wear what they wanted and trust me... the lady in the tube-top and jean cut off's did not inspire confidence in visitors.

8. puddingicecream profile image73
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

It depends on where you work. At one company I worked at, business casual was the norm since my department did not have to deal directly with clients. However, some of the other companies I've worked at requires business attire. I personally think that a dress code is needed because it creates a specific atmosphere and impression for the company.

working