jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What is the biggest mistake most businesses make?

1. glassvisage profile image88
    glassvisageposted 6 years ago

What is the biggest mistake most businesses make?

2. Taleb80 profile image82
    Taleb80posted 6 years ago

To not respect the staff. Human resources is the most important business resource.

3. cubesz profile image61
    cubeszposted 6 years ago

Not taking, or ignoring the feedback from the consumers *Cough* apple

4. ktrapp profile image96
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

I don't know if it's the biggest mistake, but one mistake in big companies is definitely treating management better than the rest of the employees, and laying off long-term employees. I think a big mistake of small businesses is not marketing enough.

5. renegadetory profile image98
    renegadetoryposted 6 years ago

when they forget that it is the people working them that are the real heart and soul of the company.  You can pay people for their time, but giving their heart and wanting to do their best can only be given to a company if an employee chooses to to put their heart into their work. This is a result of how a business treats its employees.

6. Tiger Mom profile image61
    Tiger Momposted 6 years ago

Failure to plan.  I am referring to the mistake businesses (big and small) make in not formulating a business plan, a backup plan, a disaster plan, etc.  Having forethought is the biggest value added plan a business can have.

7. Traffic Creator profile image58
    Traffic Creatorposted 6 years ago

I think failure to make proper planning, market research and customer analysis.

8. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

The biggest mistake most businesses make is underestimating their cash and credit requirements and overestimating their projected revenue.

9. ShootersCenter profile image76
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

They fail to properly monitor cost, if you're not tracking on a regular basis you only see the amount of money flow in not out. Running a business is much harder than most people realize, employees all think the boss is getting rich and they're not getting their share. There are many hidden cost involved in business and just when you adjust and are making a descent profit the cost of something changes without notice and you have to do it all over again.

10. dilipsvarma profile image64
    dilipsvarmaposted 6 years ago

Small sized - inadequate focus on sales and marketing, ignoring scalability in case of ideas. Waiting too long to release a product  (Product companies) 

Medium sized - playing too safe as it now has something to loose

Large sized - Disconnection from customer and employees

11. Savva Pelou profile image72
    Savva Pelouposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5391567_f260.jpg

As noted in the other answers, employees make up the core part of any business so a common mistake is to not adhere to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  Maslow created a theory int he shape of a pyramid of importance.  By adhering to the hierarchy of needs, you can guarantee employee retention, respect and happiness.

12. dperrySMB profile image61
    dperrySMBposted 6 years ago

In my talks with most business owners the main mistake that most make is thinking that it is a light switch - off to on in one flip. Especially with online businesses they assume that once they launch the website that the traffic and money will be immediate.

Unfortunately it is not that simple and many overextend themselves with the plan that they will recoup their investment in just a few days after their website is live.

I would advise anyone opening an online business to develop a plan for the launch involving SEO work, and most importantly realistic expectations. Don't quit your day job to launch your business, launch it and devote your nights and weekends until you get the ball rolling.

13. b2b-sales-europe profile image60
    b2b-sales-europeposted 6 years ago

The market is always the reality, the only one there is.
    Wanna be entrepreneurs think to much about "what? when? how?"-things instead of asking the market, i.e. get clients to pay, that's business, the market will tell you, if it works, it works, othwerwise, do something else!

working