jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should we love our job, or just deal with it?

1. slappywalker profile image98
    slappywalkerposted 6 years ago

Should we love our job, or just deal with it?

2. top-investor profile image60
    top-investorposted 6 years ago

love it , otherwise u never will be any good at it..

i would say leave when u find the job u want

3. shwetha123 profile image74
    shwetha123posted 6 years ago

We should have to love our job else we can not give our best in it. And once when we feel that we are just dealing with it then its time to leave the job. Its all about my own feeling.

4. Lisa Kramer profile image57
    Lisa Kramerposted 6 years ago

Sometimes you just deal with it, but ultimately we should all be doing what we love. Life is too short to spend time dreading what you have to do each day.

5. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

I think it's really dependent on 2 factors.
    1.Your age. When you're younger and in school obviously your job won't be that great.
    2. How desperate you are for cash. Beggars can't be chooser.

When it comes to a career, however, you should love what you do. Doing things just because you'll make a good amount of money in the field will eventually result in sub-par work.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

You should love it. Entry-level jobs that you can love are hard to find, but they're there too -- it's just more likely that you're going to need greater challenges more quickly. For instance, I originally loved my job at Wal-Mart -- I was 16 when I started, I got the physical challenge of throwing freight, and I got the mental challenge of helping people with their fish problems. It was very satisfying to me because I know fish very well, and it gave me a chance to really help people who appreciated the help. Four years later, it was to the point of tolerating, and it was time to move on to new challenges. You may not love every aspect of some of the lower-end jobs, but the overall feeling should be positive.

Chances are, you will spend about 1/4-1/3 (and 1/2 for some people) of your life at work. Do you REALLY want to just tolerate such a huge piece of your existence? Not to mention, dissatisfaction in the work place often leads to issues at home because you're not happy and fulfilled, which then radiates negativity into every facet of your life.

7. SuperheroSales profile image60
    SuperheroSalesposted 6 years ago

I feel that with this economy if you have a secure, well-paying job you should hang onto it until you can secure another guaranteed income.  It's not worth it right now to skip around or you may miss out on the chance to build yourself a solid foundation. 

I have heard of many people leaving their jobs recently and becoming miserable because they cannot find anything comparable or their new jobs end up being just as mundane as their previous one.  It seems like new jobs are exciting to me for about 3-4 months, but once I've mastered the basic new skills it begins to feel boring again and I slip back into my old mindset.

I'm all for chasing your dreams, but if you can start them up part time and find new ways of enjoying your current job (if it's meeting your financial needs) that is the much safer option.

working