How did you become a certified claim rep for unemployed individuals?

1. profile image48
    kduftyposted 6 years ago

How did you become a certified claim rep for unemployed individuals?

I am a paralegal and translator. I am looking for the process to become certified to represent some of our clients, but I am  having a hard time locating information.

2. iain-mars profile image45
    iain-marsposted 6 years ago

In the UK, the only person that can represent someone for employment purposes, at an Employment Tribunal for example, is a solicitor or lawyer.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image61
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

Michigan's unemployment insurance agency maintains an "Advocacy Program" which provides representatives for claimants and employers in appeal proceedings before administrative law judges. The advocates are paid a small amount by the UIA for consultations and representing clients in hearings. 

To become certified as an advocate one must attend a two-day information/training program offered by the Unemployment Insurance Agency and pass an examination on the law and appeals procedures at the end of the training session. In my case I had previously served for five years on the unemployment compensation appeals body (Board of Review) which decides appeals from decisions by administrative law judges. Members of the Board of Review are appointed by the governor. They need not be lawyers, but must have experience representing employees or employers. My previous experience consisted of three and one-half years as assistant to the chairman of the National Labor Relations Board during the Clinton Administration. Before the NLRB I had spent 34 years representing General Motors in negotiations with the UAW and other unions.

working