Unemployed Where are the jobs?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 11 years ago

I woke up this morning to an email saying you are out of work, now what no notice, no economy and don't qualify for welfate or unemployment yet.

I am asking this question to see what others have for advice and motivation, I live in Maine where the economy has always been pretty bad and worked for a company for the past 18 years that was merged with an overseas company a year ago and they so appreciate the american worker that they are letting us have a forced unpaid vacation and since this is the only work I have done, I am a little lost for what to do next. I can move but not sure that would be the answer.

I welcome all advice, suggestions, and motivation that others can offer.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the economy is bad in Maine then you have two options. First, attempt to change your government to be more business friendly (which will never happen) or move somewhere where the economy is not held hostage by democrat leadership or unions!

1. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is such bull. the Democrats and the unions are not the problem. The Republican White house gave Billions of handouts to Corporations, and allowed them to pay no taxes, not only that, but gave them huge tax incentives in which we are still paying some corporations and oil companies huge amounts of money to the tune of -60% payment of taxes. 5 billion dollars to Oil companies alone on what they call exploratory funds, which they have done NOTHING with.

Corporate greed is the problem. They do not see the value of having an employed society. Now American companies are building stores in China. Did you know that Walmart plans to build 1900 Walmart super centers in China? And that GM plans to build factories in China, to sell 30 million so-called American made cars there a year?

Government and unions are not the problem.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry JustCrafty to hear the terrible news.  I'm from Maine and I well know the economy there isn't all that unless you are a fisherman.  If I were you do research on the internet and Linkedin on your expertise and see where the jobs are.   I'm afraid this economy is only going to get worse.  I've been trying to figure out how to make money on my own and not rely on working for someone else because I can't find work anywhere, but then again, I'm in an area that is comparable to Maine as you have to be a rancher in order to have a job.  I've also come across a lot, and I mean a lot of age discrimination.  It's a young persons world now, but personally, the young people have no work ethic and no manners and you'd think a company would want an older person in their ranks.

I will be sending prayers your way for sure.  Get on Linkedin if you aren't already.  It's a good networking site and you can find headhunters there as well.  email me if you need words of encouragement. 

Do you have a hobby or special skill that you can turn into cash?

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just an fyi...

I noticed 2 news articles this last week. Both from reputable sources.

One said there will be a hiring frenzy as year 2013 begins.

One said it will be a hiring desert as year 2013 begins.

This indicates to me that no one really knows what will happen as year 2013 begins.

So, for practical purposes, act as if there is hiring going on and give it your best shot. smile

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Is self employment an option, either permanent or for a few months while looking for work?  Such things as selling on eBay will seldom provide a living long term buy can get someone by for a short period.

Not sure why you can't get unemployment - is the "vacation" behind that?  If so, it can't be over a couple of weeks and you really should be able to weather that.  If you will get unemployment in the near future, things like eBay or providing small local services (lawn mowing type of thing) can again help.

Finally, yes, you may have to move and will almost certainly need a new career.  Start looking and training for something different - it can't hurt and could provide a living.

3. profile image0

I have two college degrees, 18 years of experience, two online businesses (only a few sales in over 18 months and live in vacationland of the rich.

Unemployment isn't as easy as it looks, they make you wait two weeks after filling out the paperwork and you have to go to classes that teach you to get a job.
    This is a little ironic seems my loss of many jobs is due to the economy and not the fact that I had 10 jobs from 10 different companies which means I have no problem getting a job just getting people to buy so I can keep my jobs.

Maine is definitely one of the 10 states for not being employee friendly.

I moved to Maine from Florida because I couldn't find work there 18 years ago, now I am not sure that I want to take the chance in moving again to find a job, I am not a spring chicken in the hiring world, so I think I will spend a lot of time trying to get my online businesses and other self employment things to work as rural america is tough but survivable, I hope!

1. profile image0

I'm living in rural America and it's not doable at all.  I left the big city to have a less stressful life...ha...what a joke, but I broke my ankle so that's how I lost my job.  You are absolutely correct in saying Maine is NOT an employee friendly state. 

Are you on Linkedin?

4. profile image0

I have tried to sell my hand knit and crocheted items online for about 18 months and only sold about 6 items, as it is hard to sell what you can't feel.

I am going to be trying to get more creative with the time I have, hopefully something will click and I can get something going that I like and can make a living at.

It is after all the last quarter of the year and corporate america has to please the stockholders regardless of what it does to the employee.  It has been an up and down competitive field that I work in because some people don't believe in helping the other person as I gave up work a few weeks ago with a company so that a man could have a job, I am hoping that it is true that one good dead will be rewarded.

I am always thinking about how to help myself, as well as, others to keep everyone working but I guess I stand alone on that moral.

I am hoping 2013 will be better for me as I am definitely not a quitter.  Thanks for the Lindekin idea, never been on it will check it out.  Great to get good feedback from you.

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

A news article came out stating Canada has vacant jobs for 'skilled' workers and a high number of unemployed 'low skilled' workers tongue I really don't understand why Canada Employment doesn't put tonnes! of posters out in schools 'ahead' of time to have prepared for this. Also, can't you just 'rent' your house out while you work elsewhere? just a thought.

6. profile image0

I just setup my Lindekin last night, hope someone needs a great experienced worker, not thrilled about thinking about moving as I like living here but need to find a way to make a living now that the economy is crapping again, I know that I can move somewhere else but if I am going to do that to do the same job I have here then it isn't worth the moving expense because being a merchandiser isn't the greatest pay and I figure if I apply for job other places and never get a reply then where or why would I even think of moving.

My thoughts are directed to doing something as a self employed person as I like to work on my own and just have to take the plung and try something other than what I have education or experience for that isn't compatible at this time.

I have tried and tried to get a job in the same field but up a level but can't get the work experience I need with a company so that dream is just about to be put asleep.  I would like to have a chance to supervise other people as I have the desire, knowledge and education but can't get the job.

I am thinking that being self employed would make me the supervisor and the happier person that I want to be.

1. profile image0

I've thought about going back to school but being middle aged I don't think it's really do-able especially in gaining employment. 

I used to purchase unique items at goodwill or other thrift stores and fix them up and sell them on ebay.  I made seashell windchimes and those sold for $30 each to people who didn't live near the ocean.  I'd love to start making jewelry again but need a little capital in order to even start.  I even took in laundry at one time.  Think of what talent you have and how you can use your talent to make money.  You are at least in the position where you have some money available to you wherein I don't.  What about chrocheting lap warmers or bed warmers for the elderly maybe in Maine there might be a market for that.  I know there are a lot of artsy people in Maine, what about making candles in pretty china teacups that you can find at the thrift stores, the saucers don't even have to match the cups.  Do you live in Portand?  If you do you could sell these in the Old Port and I bet even at DiMillos Restaurant.  Just some ideas.  Keep me posted!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra, until you have a studio and the capital you need, have you thought about Zazzle and Cafepress? I'm not that creative but for someone who is I believe there's money to be made.

1. profile image0

No I haven't but I don't have any $$ to even start making my jewelry again.  I'll think of something.

You don't need any. You upload designs (which you can make through free downloads of art programs such as paint.net and others) set up your stall, and receive commission on the purchases made. Jewelry, ceramics, T-shirts and the list goes on.

1. profile image0

Explain this to me Holly, I don't understand.

Zazzle and cafe press ( don't know that much about  Cafe Press) sell jewelry and mugs and t-shirts, post cards, birthday cards; the list is endless, and they're all customisable. So if you open an account with them, and decide on the products that you'd like to sell, you can upload your own designs for each product. When someone orders something from your store, you receive the commissions

There's forums and help tutorials etc..

http://www.zazzle.com/sell

A couple of free downloads for art programs ( there's tutorials on how to use them on You Tube)

http://www.getpaint.net/

http://inkscape.org/download/

1. profile image0

Thanks!

You're welcome. smile

7. profile image0

I live about four hours from Portland, have taken weekend trip to Portland years ago and may do it again soon as it seems a lot better than Eastern Maine where I live.

I have tried to make and sell my crocheted and knit items not many sales, I have over 600 pieces of hand knit, crocheted and sewn items made this year that are now being given to local charities because the people in this area all seem to either do the crafts or think you charge too much so I have to do something with all the items that I make and can't sell so donating to charities seems like a good idea.

Maine has so many legalities to having a small business and the liability insurance is not too cheap and it seems that you need the protection because of the ones who are out to sue you.

I write hubs on Hubpages but didn't want to give out my banking info to get the small amount of money you get on their so I do it for enjoyment.

I think, I am at the point in my life that fear of trying is starting to win a little because I don't seem to dare to try anything new.

I appreciate all the comments, feedback and motivation as I think we all can use constructive communication because I know I get enough criticism in a day.

1. profile image0

I understand totally about the fear of trying something new.  Unfortunately, in the economy that we have (which is going to get worse) I think working for yourself is the best.  Maine does have a lot of 'crafty' peopll..what about a table at one of the flea markets?  You don't have to have insurance for that as you would come under the flea markets liability insurance.    Out here in Nebraska we don't have flea markets, we have auctions instead. 

Would there be such a thing as a craft co-op?  Wherein we could swap our crafts and sell them in different parts of the country spreading crafts from one coast to the other.  Just a thought.  Maybe silly, but a thought.  This way we can all help each other out.

8. profile image0

We don't have flea markets in my area.  They have craft fairs but it cost 25+ for a table and usually not that much of a crowd comes so not worth the cost.
    I am online on Artfire.com and other craft selling sites, dropped Etsy because I didn't have a single sale.

Craft Co-ops around Maine are like commercial stores they are so juried that my items aren't considered and they are hours away from me.

I have a couple of ideas, but not sure if it is worth the headaches with the laws, and taxes and next to come is health insurance laws and their effects.

I know that something will click and I will decide what to try just not the time of year to be spending any money other than surviving with heating oil at $4.75 per gallon and my bill just came for my first half tank which is almost $700. It won't last me all winter and the price will definitely be higher on the next half tank.

I wish I had the knowledge and determination that my father had before he was taken away from this earth at a young age.  He never hesitated to try a new business and never thought about failing.  I was too young to learn from him and I got my mother's conservative genes to stay with what works.

1. profile image0

Pray and 'talk' to you father.  I bet he'll 'talk' back to you in a dream or inspirational thought you will have.  I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through.  Believe me, I know how desperate things can get.  I may be broken but I'm not beaten yet and neither are you.  Thrifty is good.  My dad taught me that before he passed.  Maybe you could take in a boarder to help with your bills.  I know it's very hard to share your home with a stranger as it's your own haven.  But, this way you will be helping someone and yourself at the same time.  My brother is now retired and on a fixed income and lives in the Mts. of New Hampshire.  He too filled his oil tank for $700 but also uses wood heat.

File for food stamps and of course unemployment now, that way when your 2 week wait is up you'll start getting checks.

There has got to be something, at least I keep telling myself that.  Sending prayers your way.  Email me if you want and I can help keep your chin up.

9. profile image0

I have just had a boss call and offer me some work, part-time is looking good to me.

I will keep sending out and filling out applications and definitely be thinking about my own business.
    I believe you have to be faced with a problem to come up with a solution.

1. profile image0

yeah

10. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

obama will get you some of his obamamoney shortly.  He's already spent more than all previous presidents combined, so a little more is of little consequence to him.

11. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

So sorry to hear that you are unemployed.    You can utilize the social/network media to advertise your education and experience such as Facebook, Twitter, and other forms of social media.  Are you writing a blog?   If so, you can write article and advertise your crafts there.     You also can go to job fairs and submit your resumes there.   You can try HubPages Ad Program to make money(I know what you have stated regarding this, but give it a try).

12. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I hope that part time work pans out for you

13. Elisa Wills profile image35
    Elisa Willsposted 11 years ago

I started as an Independent designer for Origami Owl last month and have been pleased with the opportunities. I work full time and was looking for something I could do on my own time and schedule. It seems our area has plenty of Pampered Chef, 31, Avon (etc) reps. Origami Owl drew my attention because I love the products and they are a new company that is growing fast. I wanted to be a part of something new and refreshing and am already booked for January parties and close to booked for February!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)