jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's the best way to get a response when you apply for a job?

1. dtrunce profile image60
    dtrunceposted 6 years ago

What's the best way to get a response when you apply for a job?

I left a professional career in 2005 to care for a family member and now am able to get back into the workforce.  I am applying to jobs that are related to my background (finance/acctg), but because I am searching for part time positions I am usually overqualified, which I am ok with.  I have applied for several positions and but have no responses yet.  Any suggestions as to what I can do to at least get a call back?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5600171_f260.jpg

2. Gail Meyers profile image88
    Gail Meyersposted 6 years ago

If I do not hear back from a company I follow up with them.  By sending a quick email or making a quick telephone call, you can often find out the status of the situation while also letting them know you are still interested.  I wish you the best with your job search!

3. ronhi profile image75
    ronhiposted 6 years ago

Try to edit your CV each time you apply for a different Job to make sure it reflects the profile they are looking for. Also avoid the mistake most job seeker do, that of using template cover letters. They have phrases that are too common that it pisses off most HR managers. Phrases like "my skills are a perfect match to the position..." etc.

Instead of listing your skills, say what the skills have been of help. For instance, instead of saying i am a good team player, say something like while at company XYZ, i was part of  a team that accomplished ABC.

All the best!

4. profile image0
    leann2800posted 6 years ago

I suggest following up with a thank  you note through snail mail. Very few people bother to thank someone for the opportunity. I would also suggest sending thank you cards to the staff as well as the administration. Anyone you spoke to when you are interviewed.

5. dtrunce profile image60
    dtrunceposted 6 years ago

I would love the opportunity to send thank yous - the problem is that I am not getting any responses on my applications.  Are employers hesitant to consider people whose qualifications may exceed those needed to perform the job?

working