jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How did you decide on a career?

1. Leanna McCarthy profile image67
    Leanna McCarthyposted 6 years ago

How did you decide on a career?

2. iamageniuster profile image74
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

I try to find the balance between what I love to do and how much money it'll make.

3. starstream profile image76
    starstreamposted 6 years ago

Try to volunteer in the fields you are interested in before you decide on a college career major.  Just spending some time even a few hours can be very enlightening.
    Also, temp work can give you the insiders story.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It just happened.  My first job out of school was in a bank and it was just always easy to find bank jobs over the years. My current job is the same way.  Someone offered me a job and said they would train me to do medical billing. So that is what I do now.

5. supplies expert profile image61
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

It's real tough to decide on a career and as a recent graduate of college, I realize one thing is that it's really difficult to decide on a career straight out of high school and to choose a major.

For those who don't choose a major right away usually end up taking a minimum of 5 years to graduate since their General Education classes don't meet all their requirements for the majors. I think that colleges for the first semester should just create classes based upon real life experiences in a working environment. You should choose 5 careers of interest and get to meet people, spend a day with them and get to talk to them so you can get true insight into the job, otherwise kids are just choosing their majors blindly or by what they read in books. I really think my career move of going to marketing was not well thought out, although I'm doing alright in it and make decent money for a recent grad, I could've worked on my strengths and found a better more satisfying career. I'm still young so I'll probably go back and get to where I want to be, but would've saved me a lot of money if I had known beforehand.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I have a tendency to find a temporary job that winds up being very permanent.  Temporary jobs give you a chance to see how different companies operate and whether they are something you enjoy doing.

7. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

By asking myself what I am good at. I'm good at stating facts, analyzing the situation, and coming up with a solution for the common good.