jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

In work...is attitude more important or task completion?

1. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

In work...is attitude more important or task completion?

Are there other things that are more important at the work place? If so, what might they be?

2. tcummuta profile image59
    tcummutaposted 6 years ago

Task completion is not enough. How was the task completed? Was it accomplished in a quality manner? I think attitude will impact task completion. It will be extremely difficult for tasks to be completed in a quality manner effectively over a long period of time if an attitude is negative. There are also various levels of poor attitude from mildly upset to a willingness to openly damage the  company in some manner.

Once I had an extremely talented young man working for me. However, he felt he should be in management and making the call on how everyone's work should be done. I had to talk to him about his attitude. He felt he was more talented than others and his attitude should not matter. He was very talented. However, as I had warned him, he was let go because of his venomous and contagious attitude.

If the task is to place a nut on a screw for eight hours a day, then maybe attitude is not as relevant as task completion. Beyond that though, attitude can impact not only the quality of work, but ultimately can be felt by the customer or client. This latter issue can hurt company by lack of customer or client loyalty, repeat business, and/or  referrals.

3. tylermj23 profile image81
    tylermj23posted 6 years ago

I'd say both attitude and task completion are equally important for both you personally and from an employer's point of view.  The individual must get some satisfaction from task completion or that individual should find a different line of work.  Hope that helps.

4. leroy64 profile image84
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Hard to say.  I have seen people fired for bad attitudes.  I have seen people get fired for not doing their job.  No one will tell me why someone gets promoted because it is none of my business.  At this point, it looks like it really depends on where you happen to be working.  Looks seem to count, or perhaps I should say, fitting the preconceived image, of who ever is handing out rewards and promotions.  Of course, ultimately, results count; but, there seems to be a lot of other things happening.

5. Grime Remix profile image60
    Grime Remixposted 6 years ago

I would not settle for either or.  I would require an employee to complete tasks with a great attitude who adhered to the companies culture.  I'd also expect them to be on time, dress properly and follow company rules.  I'd accept nothing less.

working