jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can you get a good paying career with a psychology degree?

1. medina143 profile image66
    medina143posted 6 years ago

Can you get a good paying career with a psychology degree?

I have heard from numerous people with degrees in psychology that it has been impossible to find a career and have had to switch majors or minor in something different.

2. mattdigiulio profile image76
    mattdigiulioposted 6 years ago

Take two more years; get your masters in psych; get your licensure in therapy.
    Psychologists are in
    demand, and you can make
    upwards of $80k a year
    easily. Also, you get to be your own boss, and make your own hours. Go forward!

3. brittanytodd profile image95
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

Psychology is a very broad subject that offers many a chance to pursue careers in law, social work, psychiatry, psychology, research, law enforcement, marketing and media, and much more.  Here's a full list: http://www.allpsychologycareers.com/psy … reers.html

4. medina143 profile image66
    medina143posted 6 years ago

Thank you ! I'm sure it also depends on the state and location you are working in. Other than therapy what are alternatives with a psychology master?

5. helmutbiscut profile image75
    helmutbiscutposted 6 years ago

If you only have a Bachelors degree, it can be very difficult to find a job in a related field.  However, like it was mentioned before, if you get a Masters degree, or even your PhD, your opportunities will increase greatly.

6. SantaCruz profile image70
    SantaCruzposted 6 years ago

Like some other liberal arts degrees, psychology degrees are applicable to many fields. Many employers recognize that people with a good grasp of psychology may have an edge over others in education, sales, NGOs and other arenas. People who understand others' motivations and behaviors have valuable emotional intelligence.

If you'd like to work as a therapist but find that the wages are insulting/unworkable, maybe get a certificate to enhance your degree. For example, you could get extra training that lets you work independently as an autism therapist.

I formally studied psych for 8 years. My first job out of grad school was teaching writing at UCLA. I had taken lots of educational psych courses and was hired partly because I'm bilingual. There's not always such a direct connection between what you specifically train for & what you end up doing!

working