jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is Small Business vital in any local community?

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Why is Small Business vital in any local community?

2. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

Tax dollars collected provide the funds to operate the community. Buying local also helps stimulate the local economy and provide jobs.

3. charmike4 profile image72
    charmike4posted 6 years ago

The other day I was sitting with my 10 year old boy at a cafe at our village heart and we were talking about why we like Prospect (in Adelaide, South Australia) so much.  It is because we have no multinationals or national brands in our main street. Every shop is a small business from our cafes, local supermarket, take-away shops, gift stores, book shops, florist, etc.  For me this makes the community vibrant and makes a reason to visit.  If I want the big stores I can go to the local shopping centre that is 10 minutes away or to the city.  But in our local area, where we can walk to the shops, the beauty of our area is that the shops are local and unique. This is what makes a community.

I thought that this was quite a deep conversation to have with a 10 year old!

4. smartadvice profile image59
    smartadviceposted 6 years ago

Small businesses are usually much more responsible members of a community than big corporations. They stay involved in local issues, support local schools and non-profits, and hire local residents to help the economy improve. Also, in many cases, the owner of the business works harder to maintain relationships with their customers, as these are also people they run into while dropping kids off at school, going to church each week, or at the local watering hole. Small business owners have more accountability in their local communities so they are usually more involved and productive citizens. Small businesses are also more likely to buy goods and services from other local businesses, which keeps more of the money circulating in the local economy. What’s not to love about small business?

working