Is social media the way to go for a start-up business?

1. odeisa profile image60
    odeisaposted 6 years ago

Is social media the way to go for a start-up business?

I read about a couple who are not using Facebook nor Twitter or any social networking site because they think it's a waste of time. They just use one site (that's Etsy) and they are earning good money from it. Just wondering if this will also apply to me if I will open a small online shop.

2. Savva Pelou profile image72
    Savva Pelouposted 6 years ago

From my experience, relying on any social media when starting a business is very dangerous.  People often forget that social media, like any media, can be positively affect your business but also negatively.  One should establish their business first by enlisting friends and families to spread the word.  Once your brand has been established, then you can commence social marketing.  The last thing you want is a facebook page with no followers.  Get your friends and family to follow you.  Send sample products for them to review and create articles and leave facebook entries. 

Never forget that your Facebook page must be managed and monitored constantly, you will always get people or competitors who will try to spread slander about your company.  Also, dont just expect to put up a page and people will come, even large companies try to spread their "follow us on facebook" phrase by incorporating it on their adverts and even on their packaging! 

Remember that facebook requires you to spend as much time on it as your own business.  If your not prepared to spend the time (or spend the oney to hire someone to manage your facebook campaign) then don't bother, you will cause more harm then good.

And one last thing, before you try to expand your client base, make sure your online shop is easy to use, price competitive and is always one step ahead of your immediate competitors.

Hope this helps!

3. odeisa profile image60
    odeisaposted 6 years ago

@Savva - thanks for this insight. this is a new perspective, all I ever read about on the web is to rely on facebook and twitter and other sites to spread the word. i agree on making a good foundation first. thank you for answering!