jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you believe that people can truly multi-task?

1. Thrifty Lady profile image91
    Thrifty Ladyposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that people can truly multi-task?

Can people actually multi-task, or is the brain really only allowing you to do one task at a time?

2. ytsenoh profile image87
    ytsenohposted 5 years ago

Yes, of course, but chiefly because I work in a law firm where it's essential working behavior.  But, that being said, one multi-tasks at home with child rearing, laundry, cooking, etc.

3. amandamitchell profile image61
    amandamitchellposted 5 years ago

To multitask we have to shift our focus because each task competes within the brain. Talking and writing simultaneously is difficult to do—while they both involve communicating, you use different cognitive processes to execute these tasks. Researchers have actually witnessed the brain struggling with the conflict in MRI scans. They’ve found that even simple tasks can overwhelm the brain when we try to do them at once.

In other words, although people may believe they can multitask, the cannot do so with great efficiency and without minimal stress.

4. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 5 years ago

I'm typing my response to you and listening to music smile.

5. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

Nope. Not effectively.

I read somewhere that when you multi-task and try to focus your energy on a number of different things at the same time, the percentage of your effectiveness, and the completion that task, diminishes significantly.

It's much better to focus your energy on one thing at a time until it's complete.

working