Do you believe that people can truly change their personality and behaviour?

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (42 posts)
  1. giselle2323 profile image60
    giselle2323posted 13 years ago

Do you believe that people can truly change their personality and behaviour?

2. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 13 years ago

I believe people can change their behavior, and should in their behavior is unacceptable. I don't think people should change their personality that's what makes us who we are.

3. giselle2323 profile image60
    giselle2323posted 13 years ago

I believe that people have the ability to change. All that is required is the desire. Anything is possible.

4. profile image57
    adair_francescaposted 13 years ago

I believe yes, but it will take some time before they can finally change a certain behavior.

5. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

Why yes, because the word change is associated with making choices, if you chose to change well you can certainly do it ^_^

6. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

yes everyone has the capablity to change its rather they want to or not that matters

7. Veianet profile image56
    Veianetposted 13 years ago

If change is a permanent thing in this world, then it is possible to change anything. It all depends on the purpose of the change to be made...

8. ExpandYourMind profile image67
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

It is difficult to change one's personality -- whether, introvert, extrovert, type A, etc. However, you can modify behavior.  For example, I may be shy and may hesitate to attend social events. However, I can make a concentrated effort to stop avoiding events, and thus, change my behavior.  It is not a simple process and may involve behavior modification, counseling, reinforcement, etc.

9. Jo Deslaurier profile image67
    Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years ago

I think people can change aspects of their personality and behavior, but I think it takes a great deal of effort and time.

10. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

Behavoir, yes, if they are so self determined to do so.

Personality................no, it is the core of you.  You may be successful in suppressing it, hiding it, concealing it, but at some point, it WILL surface.

Note, the many neighbors, coworkers, family members, and friends, who have been "shocked"...............when it was revealed.  These things are usually associatied with crime, but not always.  Perhaps your neighbor has been startled to realize you took a particular point of view on a specific topic.

Personality, will be true to itself.

11. cblogg profile image61
    cbloggposted 13 years ago

I don't believe that we can change the essence of who we are, but I do think we can change aspects of it, yes. I think our personality is made up of so many little things all combined to create the whole. If we are shy, we can take classes to learn how to be assertive. If we are shallow and spiteful, well I guess we would first have to see that in ourselves to realise that we needed to change and then do something about it. If we truly wanted to change a trait of our personality, then I think we could, but we would really need to want to do so for the new behaviour to stay.

12. profile image53
    jhonasposted 13 years ago

Yes i truly believe that people can change their behavior according to some circumstances.

13. Neverletitgo profile image62
    Neverletitgoposted 13 years ago

Yes, you can change your behavior, but it needs to take time. It is really like training to yourself to have some ability to do something so in order to gain that ability you have to be patient. Your personality also will change as you change your behavior. Let's say you were very rude man so your close friend told you that you need to change this behavior, then you finally got rid of that bad behavior before this time if somebody is asked who is Mr.B? He or she would say he is rude man but after changing that behavior one can define Mr.B as somebody who has good character. My final answer is, yes you can change both conduct and personality.

14. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

I believe behavior can be modified in some people.  Behavior is a function of knowledge and environment. It is not necessarily built into the individual. In other words, behavior is learned.  Someone can grow up in an extremely biased environment and become an adult before they have the first inkling that they might be a racist.  Once they have that knowledge and accept it, then their behavior can and will be modified...and by them!  Personality is a whole different ballgame for it is molded into all that which makes up "self".  What we call a change is personality is often just a temporary modification of behavior.  In other words, we may surpress certain aspects of our personality in order to accomplish a specific purpose.  In effect, we have simply changed our behavior and our personality is essential the same although we are not letting it show for that short period.  We are who we are in terms of personality...we cannot overcome that and have any sense of realism in life.  WB

15. jrsearam profile image61
    jrsearamposted 13 years ago

Heck yeah! Look at Daniel Day Lewis, or Al Pacino, or any one of the great character actors. Man, can they change! ; )

16. Ask Oracle profile image60
    Ask Oracleposted 13 years ago

Behaviour can be changed by proper training and a will to change. However, personality cannot be changed at will. At best it can be suppressed.

17. Alhamora profile image54
    Alhamoraposted 13 years ago

Certainly. However, most of the time it can happen due to emotional stress. Change of financial state can also trigger this.

18. ArefinShams profile image60
    ArefinShamsposted 13 years ago

Yes I believe that, to tell you the truth, every people change their personality and behavior in their lives at least 3 times (most of them are not conscious about that)!
    1.When the become a grown up from a child!
    2.When they become married!
    3.When they are old and waiting for their call of death.

19. profile image52
    EP5208posted 13 years ago

I believe that if you want something bad enough you are able to modify certain parts of your behaviour. It takes time and effort to achieve the change but if its what you want the effort and time are worth it. I think you can change certain aspects of your behaviour but not your essence.

20. dhpro profile image38
    dhproposted 13 years ago

oh yeah why not if you really want to change your no one can stop you guys but remember one thing you are who you are, so in some regards, no one can fault you for behaving in certain ways.

21. tinks360 profile image60
    tinks360posted 13 years ago

I dont believe a person can change by themselves, I believe change in a persons personality comes via the interaction with others. Positive experiences should help a person be more confident and happy where negative experiences will have a negative effect.
    Obviously this effect will vary in scale, you can change anything if you want to.

22. profile image51
    garystuffposted 13 years ago

Blimey, that's a big question - what causes both of the above in the first place?

23. clark farley profile image70
    clark farleyposted 13 years ago

Behavior...sure
    Personality...hardly ever
    Possible?  yes.

The big changes can occur but seem to require a level of catastropic stress, that no sane person can consciously bring to bear on (themselves).

Before you can change, you must break down that which you would be replacing... your personality.
    Hardly anyone is capable of that...but for an example of this kind of 'stressing out' the established personality, take a look at rites of passage.
    I suspect all cultures have some form of a rite of passage, but if you look to the past and find the pre-industrial societies you will see what it takes to effect a significant change to one's personality.

What do they say on TV?  don't try this at home?

Besides, you know how there is always a 'trick ending' to the fables and tales we hear as children, the cautionary tales? I personally believe that if you are successful in altering your personality, there will be no left to appreciate it! The toll on friends and family is kinda high. Afterall, we are talking about changing personality, do that and everything changes, yo.

24. cuteredneck profile image58
    cuteredneckposted 13 years ago

yes  anyone can change anything on them or in them

25. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 13 years ago

People CAN INDEED change their personality and behavior, but only if they WANT TO.

26. FloBe profile image65
    FloBeposted 13 years ago

I think we are born with our personality but the challenge our whole life is to be true to who we are and still choose appropriate behaviour that is respectful of others. We definitely can change our behaviour, unless we are too obstinate to do so.

27. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

Yes to both. We are forever changing inside and out. If our thinking changes everything else follows suit. Mind, body and soul.

28. shahadat73 profile image35
    shahadat73posted 13 years ago

Yes, truly possible. But it takes a long time and determination.

29. elvit profile image62
    elvitposted 13 years ago

yes, but with time. when you start to feel odd and want to be accepted by majority you might want to change a few thing.

30. ItsThatSimple profile image59
    ItsThatSimpleposted 13 years ago

Every person is filled with complexity and variety. An introvert has an extroverted side to them and vice versa! We can learn to access every part of ourselves and tap into the side of ourselves that we want to in any given moment. In doing this we can change our behavior!

31. annetteffect profile image59
    annetteffectposted 13 years ago

I see people changing their behaviour all the time when changing how they think about that behaviour or area of life.  Working with neuro-linguistic programming, you can look at what is causing the behaviour - this is related to one's emotional state (happy, mad, frustrated, confident, etc), and this in turn is influenced by how you are evaluating a certain situation.  It's all in your mind, and your mind can be changed.
    Personality is an overarching attitude, and I think certain aspects of your personality that may be hidden can be brought out - this may look like a personality change.

32. darrenhooper profile image60
    darrenhooperposted 13 years ago

Not by much. You can "loosen up" or be less arrogant, but your true personality will always come through.

33. bluejay900 profile image60
    bluejay900posted 13 years ago

I think one can change their behavior if they really set their mind to it! For instance, just this year I changed my handwriting. It's been tough, probably due to the fact it's been quite awhile since I actually learned how to write. But hey- i still did it!
    I think changing one's personality is not difficult, but it's not easy either. I don't think one can personally change their personality, but if they have a traumatic event, good or bad, it may change them, or open their eyes to new things.

34. she_online83 profile image72
    she_online83posted 13 years ago

Yes, I truly people believe in that. People can really change their personality and behavior most especially if they find those as bad traits and they want to start a new life and be the better person that they ca be.

35. Beach Bum Bhudda profile image61
    Beach Bum Bhuddaposted 13 years ago

People change.  This concept is at the foundation of great literature.  However, because people do not basically like change, change often comes about through hardships, struggles, and challenges.  Unfortunate, but true.....  Life eventually knocks the cockiness out of us. That's not to say we can't acheive greatness. but..to do so, requires a very conscious decision, followed up by very conscious actions.

36. mechanicaldesign profile image61
    mechanicaldesignposted 13 years ago

yes. it's necessary to change their personality and behaviour. i really belive with this thougt.

37. raising6kids profile image61
    raising6kidsposted 13 years ago

I think it is possible to change your behavior and that is usually how people would describle a persons personality. Like a loud & obnoxious person, that is how they behave, but someone may describle that as a personality trait. I do think it is possible. Just takes control of ones self, time, and most importantly the want to.

38. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 13 years ago

Yes, it is very much possible if they believe in themselves!

39. jeff_ibarra profile image55
    jeff_ibarraposted 13 years ago

section:cc2:JEFFREY O. IBARRA

YES!!!!people can truly  change  his or her personality true repentance to the LORD.And by that,you can truly change one's personality thru GOD.

40. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

I think you can change both.
    What is behaviour? It is an attitude which contributes to the way you do things and interact with people. ANYTHING can trigger a behaviour change.. ie. losing someone special, responsibility, money etc...
    What is personality? It is the person that you present to the world. Who you present is not always who you REALLY are. When you find who you really are then you become the real you. This is a 'change'.

41. Jenna Estefan profile image70
    Jenna Estefanposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think people truly CAN change, but they have to WANT to change. They also have to realize or understand their personality/behavior before it will change. We do so many things on autopilot, we don't even realize we're doing it. It takes patience, consistency, and work. But yes, I believe it is possible.

42. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

becomming a parent changes most people in many ways

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)