Are bi-lingual or multi-lingual people less inclined to base beliefs on religiou

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 5 years ago

Are bi-lingual or multi-lingual people less inclined to base beliefs on religious writings?

There are religions who base beliefs on century old written documents. We even refer to an utterance as "gospel truth".  I'm thinking of those who study the Bible, or Koran, or other scriptures. Those I know who are most interested in Bible study, seem to be people who are mono-lingual.People who have studied languages or understand the nuances of linguistic interpretation seem to be less inclined to base their Christian or other beliefs on the Bible,etc.  1. Does this assumption have some validity?  2. Are there other factors such as knowledge of other cultures, travel...?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8399653_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I believe all could have a part. I definitely agree that those who understand that languages interpret differently would be more inclined to look at holy books a lot less "literal". I definitely believe that exploring other cultures and travel definitely opens the mind/heart to other possibilities.  That being said, not all of us speak more than one language or are able to travel to many cultures, but we still seek out that information, to learn from different peoples etc. 

I think those with a mind to grow beyond their own backyard will typically be the ones who are more liberal in their interpretations and will be the ones who realize books that old are not intended to address modern life. There is such a broad range of human experience and understanding, to limit oneself is so, .. well, limiting! I find it kind of sad those who are perfectly content to never learn the ways of other people, or to explore beyond what they've been told or taught.

Something else has also always baffled me about literalism. When we seek to heal an ailment for example or learn how to do something, we typically look for the newest books and information on the subject.  How on Earth is it that some believe the Bible/Koran etc are the way things should be done now when they are ancient texts? If I want to fix my cell phone, I'm not going to go try to find the answer in literature from the first telephone ever created - I don't understand the logic of that need to take ancient texts so literally. Like everything else, we evolve and gain new understanding.

Billie Kelpinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Christin, Thanks for your usual insight.  You have a multi-lingual mind smile .  Just watching an "old" 50s movie makes one realize how things we hold "true" change with time. "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" now seems like "Well, duh..."

3. ExpectGreatThings profile image80
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 5 years ago

I'm not very comfortable getting into these types of conversations, but this one is right up my alley. I speak Russian, Uighur and English fluently and have lived in several different countries. I have also studied Greek and Hebrew and a couple other random languages smile I love working with refugees from all over when I live in the US. And the more I learn about other cultures, the more I believe in the God of the Bible.

I am constantly amazed at the way God has woven His truth into languages and cultures. He is in all of them if you just look under the surface. Did you know that in Russian the word for "thank you" is "spacibo"? Comes from the phrase "May God save you." There are dozens more examples also. I just think it's interesting that no matter what the people in a culture do to try to cover up God, there is still plenty of evidence that He is exactly Who the Bible says He is, and anyone can find Him if they only look.

And may God bless you on your search for answers smile

Billie Kelpinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

EGT, thank you so much for your response.  Your background in languages is impressive!  Did you know that studies have shown that people who are bilingual process Math differently!  Joseph Campbell came up with the same conclusion smile

2. ExpectGreatThings profile image80
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Joseph Campbell was somewhere in the back of my memory, but I couldn't recall anything about him. Thanks for mentioning him; it was interesting learning about him again. By the way, you might like my hub on my 1 Year Anniversary. I appreciate you smile

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

I have found many examples of both -- less belief and more belief from people who are multi-lingual. Many scholars from 300-400 years ago were multi-lingual. My wife knows 3 languages fluently (Tagalog, Cebuano and English) and is studying Japanese. She is one of the most religious and spiritual people I know -- not blindly dogmatic, but loving and open.

This topic reminds me of another question about intelligence and religion. I have known very intelligent people who were atheists, but also know of many people who are very religious or spiritual. I have an IQ of 139 (above average), but my 3 younger brothers are far more intelligent (149, 169, 200+ unmeasurable). Each one of them are religious (not dogmatically) and highly spiritual, as am I. We have each experienced miracles.

Greater knowledge (acquaintance with differing cultures and viewpoints) can help us appreciate nuances of meaning. For instance, my journey has led me Southern Baptist (my grandfather was a minister), to Scientology, Buddhism, Judaism, ancient Kabbalah, Taoism and now Christianity (non-denominational). I have also been a Hollywood artist with screen credit, a published author, an award-winning essayist and a software engineer with a degree summa cum laude. All of these experiences have helped me in my spirituality.

I have even discovered a biblical timeline compatible with those of science, the target of Noah's flood, and the real meaning of the seemingly outrageous longevity of the early patriarchs.

I think they key ingredient for me has been humility and a hunger for answers. Without humility, we become stuck in one belief system and cannot easily see beyond it.

Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very lovely answer, Lone Star.  I miss having long talks with friends about religion and life like John Denver's "Poems and Prayers and Promises".  I think humility can also be a reason for disbelief. I can't understand quarks, so God is beyond me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)