What should I leave off my resume?

1. KeithTax profile image74
    KeithTaxposted 5 years ago

What should I leave off my resume?

Are dates important or employers from a different field? What about references?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I have been told my "experts" that you should leave off your church affiliation, the names of your children, and your hobbies. Organizations are all right, but saying you have a golf handicap of 4, will probably not do you any good--especially if the person reviewing the resume has a higher handicap.

Your best bet is to fill out a couple of online applications for jobs you do not want and see what they ask you. They may also ask you to download your resume. You can then see what is picked up by the form.

Unfortunately, if everyone followed this advice, all the resumes would look the same, which is pretty much what the new crop of "experts" are trying to do, since each has their own ideas which are remarkably similar.

Good luck

3. cherylone profile image91
    cheryloneposted 5 years ago

I was told that I shouldn't put dates to things that are more than five years old because the employer will use that to determine your age (or try) and they aren't supposed to discriminate because of age (like that stops them, right).  Hope this helps.