jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it easier to be motivated when working for someone else?

1. TheRightWord profile image84
    TheRightWordposted 5 years ago

Why is it easier to be motivated when working for someone else?

Why does it seem so much easier to get up, get ready and leave the house for someone else?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

When you are working for someone else, it is they who judge your performance, your commitment and your enthusiasm. You also have a sense of obligation to the other person you do not want to disappoint.

When you are doing something for yourself on on your own behalf you have to be the judge and being objective of your own abilities and result can be difficult. Some people are much too hard on themselves. Others have an over-inflated opinion of their abilities, dedication and results.

Professional writers have proof readers. Big newspapers and magazines have fact checkers, our government has a check and balance system that must ultimately answer to the people. Meeting the expectations of others is often harder than meeting your own expectations and failing to meet those expectations can be more damaging than failing to meet your own personal expectations--because you can always change what you expect from yourself.

3. upsidedownworld profile image65
    upsidedownworldposted 5 years ago

The sense of responsibility.  I work online as a customer support rep from home.  I've worked for this company for over 8 years and previous to that had my own online business. 

When I worked for myself, I could push things off and just think "hey I can get that later".  Sleep in a little, do some other distracting activity.

Working for the company that I do now, I know what is expected of me.  I know that the company is based out of the west coast area and I'm in the midwest and that they need me to be online very early in the morning to deal with overseas and East coast customers.  There's a sense of doing the job and doing it right.  I also get paid very well for what I do and I realize that.  I can't think of another job that I could do from home, in my PJs or even out in the real world, where I could make the money I do.  So in return for this luxury of working from home, I do my job, do it well, do it on time, and I actually do love it.

So while I technically don't leave the house for someone else.  I do get up and get myself online & begin work at 5am each morning as I should.

4. nextyear profile image57
    nextyearposted 5 years ago

If you're doing what you love, you'll always motivated. No matter the situation.

working