jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Working for Yourself vs Working for Someone Else

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image89
    Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12008988.jpg
    Which do you think takes the most amount of effort: Having someone else for a boss or being your own boss? When you don’t have the last word in decision-making issues it can make you feel powerless. However, when you are the boss and you make an ineffective “judgment call” you have no one else to blame!

Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I personally prefer working for myself. I didn't appreciate it when my boss would tell someone to "make your own decision" and then criticize them when it didn't work out satisfactory.

2. OldRoses profile image87
      OldRosesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

After too many years of too many bad bosses, I'm trying to get a business off the ground so that I can work for myself.  That way, when things go well, I will get the credit and when they go badly, I will only have to take the blame for my own actions or inaction.  I'm so tired of bosses taking all the credit and forcing me to take all the blame.

I agree ... good luck and I wish you all the success in the world!

2. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

The way I see it you have a professional function, there are always things you can control and things you cannot. Some of those things with be within the same corporate entity as you and some will not. This is not the factor I consider to be the most important when it comes to your job being effective, ethical, enjoyable etc.

There are times when management crosses the job description boundary. I had this to happen to me until the manager would put his mail in my inbox without even opening it. Even people at the regional level would call and want to speak to me instead of him. However, when we both tried to get my job description upgraded - personnel just said that my job hadn't changed - I just had the ability to do beyond the description. No bonus or promotion!

3. ZAZO profile image67
    ZAZOposted 2 years ago

I prefer working for myself, and figuring out my inner calling.

Good for you!

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I think comparing self-employment to a crappy job is not really a fair comparison.  Not all bosses to stupid and exploitative things.

I think it is completely fair. No, not all bosses are crappy but there are enough of them to justify the comparison. Perhaps you have not been the victim of "boss abuse" and that is definitely good for you! I have and it was very unpleasant. So, although I deeply respect your opinion; I truly believe the comparison is justifiable! Plus I believe there is a lot of merit in being self employed. Especially with regard to Maslowe's Hierarchy (Self Actualization)

working