jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is your experience with conferences (professional, academic, etc.)?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What is your experience with conferences (professional, academic, etc.)?

How often do you go to conferences (professional, academic, whatever), and what was your best conference experience? Did you participate? In what way? Are they mandatory or do you choose to go? If you choose, how do you choose which ones to go to?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Boring waste of time and money.

3. Diana Grant profile image91
    Diana Grantposted 5 years ago

I don't go to conferences now, as I'm retired, but I enjoyed the ones I used to go to. I would only go to ones that were within my area of interest, and it was great to learn new things.

It was mandatory under the Law Society's Rules for a continuing practising certificate for me to attend a minimum 16 hour's professional conferences a year, and the subjects were always things I was already practising in, so it was either updating the law, or expanding my knowledge.  If they weren't so expensive I would have attended a lot more. I was my own boss, and could certainly choose which ones to go to. I loved my work and was immensely interested in new developments and learning (still am). Occasionally I would also attend conferences in other subjects which only vaguely related to my work, but which were dear to my heart, like Human Rights.

4. golfcart34 profile image73
    golfcart34posted 5 years ago

I actually just signed up for my first conference that will be taking place on Thursday.  The one I chose is being held on the campus of the university I graduated from and it sounded like a good way to network and get more exposure in my desired career field.  Not only that, but I've never been to a conference before so it will be a good learning experience for me as well.

working