jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

If I decide to have a child one day, is baptism mandatory?

1. Jaz Almeida profile image60
    Jaz Almeidaposted 2 years ago

If I decide to have a child one day, is baptism mandatory?

I want to give my child (if I have one) freedom to believe in whatever religion they choose rather than assigning one to them so early on. As of now, I don't want kids but I still think ahead sometimes. I often get confused.

2. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Of course not.  Neither my husband or I are religious and there would be no reason to have gotten our daughter baptized.  If it's something she wants to do later in life then she can choose to do it for herself.

Jaz Almeidaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! There are some smart people on HubPages. smile

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Very few things are mandatory especially when it comes to religion.
    The vast majority of us however weren't allowed the freedom to choose whether or not we wanted to attend church as children.
    It would be interesting to see how many people would choose religion if it had not been thrust upon them by their family, friends, or co-workers. Self-discovery is a wonderful thing.

Jaz Almeidaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! That was exactly the idea I didn't like. Assigning kids a religion. I was baptized Catholic but I think I like Buddhism a little more. smile

4. profile image60
    peter565posted 2 years ago

I don't believe any child should be baptise at birth, don't force it upon him/her, after he/she turn 18, he/she can get baptise, if he/she want

working