Is working as a EFL teacher in Thailand damaging my long term career prospects i

1. livingabroad profile image75
    livingabroadposted 5 years ago

Is working as a EFL teacher in Thailand damaging my long term career prospects in UK?

At 27, I believe it is nearly time to be embarking on a career journey. Having spent 4 years working and travelling abroad am I nearing the the 'cut-off' age for graduate employers at home? I don't want to be left on the shelf as it were!

Some say it's beneficial, others say you might not be as employable when/if you come back especially as you approach 30. I'm unsure and would appreciate thoughts and/or advice. Especially from people who may have been in a similar situation. Thanks hubbers!

2. glenn wallace profile image73
    glenn wallaceposted 5 years ago

I think it matters a great deal what career you're looking to embark on.

If you are going into education, travel, or anything related to southeast Asia, then I could see your years in Thailand as a plus.

But if there really isn't a relevant tie-in to your chosen career... yeah, being nearly 30 without any relevant job experience wouldn't look so hot on a resume.

3. Rhonda_M profile image84
    Rhonda_Mposted 5 years ago

The advantages to teaching abroad are the experience certainly and the international experience. The disadvantage is (as with anything) is to stay out there too long, and be out of contact, and out of circulation with the  scene back home. Once you're away, it can take longer to get re-established. On the other hand, International experience in your field can be considered exotic.