jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do I clean the algae off of my turtles shell without damaging the shell?

  1. flacoinohio profile image80
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

    How do I clean the algae off of my turtles shell without damaging the shell?

    My turtles shell is green from algae, I tried to clean it off, but I have been unsuccessful in getting all of it off.  Any suggestions?

    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7153756_f260.jpg

  2. Jean Rogers profile image82
    Jean Rogersposted 5 years ago

    You can get special drops from the pet store to help clean algae off of turtles. One of my turtles had some kind of algae or fungus that I was able to clear up with the drops. Good luck!

  3. tsadjatko profile image61
    tsadjatkoposted 5 years ago

    Mix a tablespoon of Clorox in a quart of water and pour it onto the shell. Scrub the shell with a brush while pouring it on and then let it stand for 1-2 minutes and hose it off. Wait 24 hours and scrub with plain water. Repeat if algae is not all gone. Just be sure not to get it in the turtle's eyes.

  4. Meisjunk profile image91
    Meisjunkposted 5 years ago

    As long as your turtle's shell is strong because of proper exposure to sun/heating lamps, then it's pretty sturdy. You don't have to worry too much about damaging it! smile The clorox answer is a good one, though I've used a scrub pad with the bleach on it rather than just pouring the bleach onto the turtle.

    Don't hesitate to use a scrub pad or a toothbrush or something! There are treatments for algea as well, especially if it's been there a while and isn't just sloughing off like new algea will. But the treatments are probably more expensive.

    The best thing you can do is make sure that your turtle has a good perch so it can become completely dry while under a heating lamp. This will kill the algea (which needs moisture) and make it easier to remove. Honestly, that will get rid of the algea (along with keeping the tank clean) better than anything else.

    Good luck! smile

  5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

    Vinegar is safe and will kill algae and bacteria.

  6. profile image0
    HowIConqueredposted 5 years ago

    For the safety of your pet I would honestly grab the yellow pages and find the number to a veterinarian or animal hospital that specializes in reptiles. Ask them what type of home remedy you can whip up or the name of a trusted medicine/ointment that is safe to use on your turtle. If they know anything about turtles they should tell you the solution to your question for free over the phone (I did this for my dog when I cut her nails too short and she started to bleed). While some questions can be simply answered on the internet, I wouldn't take chances with the health of my beloved pet. Goodluck finding the solution to your algae issue.

 
working