Does a profession or career equal good pay?

1. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

Does a profession or career equal good pay?

Addiction counseling is considered a profession that is highly regulated in Wisconsin, but the pay is awful. How can we consider this a profession when the professionals can barely afford to take care of themselves financially?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 5 years ago

In my mind, a profession is basically the same a career.  It is a position where what you do makes a change (for good) of some kind.  For example:  being the best french fryer at McDonald's is a job not a profession.  No one grows up wanting to be the world's best french fryer.  However, counselling people with addictions can and does change lives.  It also requires interaction with the patient and the use of knowledge and skills most people don't have.  Unfortunately, not all professions are paid equally or fairly.  It's unfortunate that society pays so little for jobs like Addictions Counsellor; but, I feel it tends to reflect how society as a whole views the addict -- not very highly.

3. krosch profile image60
    kroschposted 5 years ago

It really depends on a couple of things. First what is good pay? Second where do you go with your profession for example I was an archaeologist for about 10 years but never got into what one could likely consider great pay, though I made more than my parents ever did in their lifetimes during that ten years.

If you really carefully focus on a career that is going to be long term which in the current modern economany might be hard. Yeah you can make a killing but you could just as well choose something that might not even be a viable job let alone a profession in 5 or 10 years....

working