jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How do you prepare for a job interview?

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

How do you prepare for a job interview?

Do you practice answering questions, try on different outfits?  How do you calm your nerves?  Thanks for any info.

2. Sullen91 profile image77
    Sullen91posted 5 years ago

Research your prospective employer (the company). Research the duties of the position you'll be interviewing for.

Confirm that you know the precise location and the route to get there.

Wear proper attire. Have an idea about the company's policy on facial hair and keep all hair neat and trimmed.

Rehearse the answers you'll give to common interview questions; e.g. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell us about a problem you had with a manager at a previous job and how did you resolve it? Why are you leaving the company you're with? etc.

Know your availability and when you will be able to start, if necessary. Depending on the job type, you may want to negotiate salary.

Bring a copy of your resume on resume paper, and also bring any supporting documents such as the school transcript(s) if you're a student, for example.

Adopt a sober mentality before you take the interview and do not add unnecessary information during the interview.

Do your best and communicate your abilities. Then let them decide if they want this person or not.

nmdondersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Knowing how bad i am with directions "Confirm that you know the precise location and the route to get there" is a great suggestion.

3. profile image0
    Sarah Hurstposted 5 years ago

Hi nmdonders! There isn't any way to not make this sound like a shameless plug, but I wrote a few Hubs about job interview practice questions and dressing for the interview, if you are interested in checking them out. There are loads more good articles here and elsewhere on the Internet too. Personally, I always research the company I'm interviewing with to learn as much as I can before I go in, and so I can ask a few intelligent questions. Then, I go over my own resume and CV thinking of potential questions an interviewer could ask and also to prepare an "elevator" or pitch speech. The pitch needs to be just a few minutes long highlight you, your accomplishments, and your goals for this or any other job. After I can done all these things, I focus on my appearance by finding the best outfit to the interview. I try to stay with a classic suit (either skirt or dress) and a statement piece (fun, colorful top, cute shoes, or bold necklace) that can get the conversation started.  I hope this helps! I have always had good success at interviewing, so I wish the same for you!

nmdondersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Shameless plug!! Just kidding.  Thanks for sharing I'll check them out. A few people I know are on the search for jobs right now and I've always had an issue with interviewing. You make some good points.

4. sethpowers profile image69
    sethpowersposted 5 years ago

Research the employer through and through then practice interview questions with another person. If you are prepared, you won't be nervous.

5. profile image68
    Megan's Thoughtsposted 5 years ago

My method has always been to write down why I want the job I am applying for, what skills I have that I think would be good for the position, and what I feel like I can do in that job to improve some aspect, be it customer experience, efficiency of the department, bringing in more revenue for the company, etc.

Secondly, I have been told on several occasions that one thing I did that really impressed interviewers was having a list of questions that I wanted to ask the interviewers about the job. What kind of person they were looking for, any particular skills or certifications they would like me to learn if I were to get the job, what are the opportunities for advancement, anything you can think of to ask them and show you are interested, you cared enough to think ahead, and didn't just roll out of bed and show up.

6. dpsimswm profile image59
    dpsimswmposted 5 years ago

Find a friend, spouse, significant other, or someone else.  This person needs to give you impartial advice on the way you present yourself. Perform a mock interview.

Get a list of typical interview questions on the internet.  Questions like "describe a time you experienced conflict."  Answer them using the STAR method. (Google it.)

You'll do fine.