This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Can you collect unemployment while writing online?

1. lezsaysit profile image61
    lezsaysitposted 5 years ago

Can you collect unemployment while writing online?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Of course. It's very unlikely that you will make enough money to change anything as far as your unemployment goes. That is if your'e already drawing unemployment?

lezsaysitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your support. Thanks.

2. cruising.granny profile image61
      cruising.grannyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's not an acceptable reason for not working.  Writing begins as a hobby, until it pays, but you have to eat and pay rent in the mean time. In Australia being on unemployment to write would not be accepted. Being paid an advance to write is employed

3. callmelife profile image71
    callmelifeposted 5 years ago

I have been trying this for years and believe me it's difficult. Only writing online won't change anything. though there is no harm in trying.

Hi callmelife,
      Thanks for your support!

4. topquark profile image79
    topquarkposted 5 years ago

No, because you're technically self-employed. Although you would probably get away with it, particularly if you weren't earning much.

Hi topquark,
      Thanks for your advice.

5. ksmusselman profile image59
    ksmusselmanposted 5 years ago

Hi!

Of course!  if your unemployment regulations are the same as they are in Pennsylvania, you are allowed to earn what's called a partial benefit credit.  So you can work while you're collecting, as long as you don't earn over that PCB amount. 

Now, a little on the "shady" side is you just don't report it!  i.e., you're doing it as a hobby, not as a business, much like if you sold stuff at a garage sale or flea market.  You wouldn't report that as self employment or working.  So consider your writing the same way.  It's a hobby and people just happen to like your stuff enough to want to give you some cash for it.  :-)

So, here's one way to write online where you can actually write your articles once and get paid for them over and over.  It works too - I do it!  :-)

1. Select an area you're either familiar with or want to know more about.
    2. Write five 400+ word articles in that theme.
    3. Package the articles into a 5-pack
    4. Advertise the article pack on fiverr as PLR articles
    5. Rinse and repeat with another topic

Set up a blog and write about what you do.

Once you have a few posts in place on your blog, set up an email where people can request article topics.

For more information on this cool part time PLR opportunity, stop by my site at http://partnerwithksmusselman.net and look for the PLR ATM banner. 

Good luck and have fun writing!  :-)

6. cruising.granny profile image61
    cruising.grannyposted 5 years ago

In the beginning writing is probably a hobby.  Then your writing becomes a hobby that pays.  (lucky you).
    If you get to the  point when you can live on your writing earnings you certainly could not collect unemployment.  You'll be famous then, and everyone will know you.
    I'm on benefits in Australia.  At the moment my writing is a hobby, and hopefully it will become a hobby that pays.
    About 16 years ago I closed the office door on my journalism, PR and marketing business after 12 years to pursue another work lifestyle.  I was on benefits when I started the freelance journalism, but ultimately my business was lucrative enough for me to depend on it totally.
    If your writing is in the early days, you will need unemployment to eat and pay rent.  If your writing is earning you a substantial living, you could claim benefits, but if you get caught you'll have to pay it back.  Your choice.

working