jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How do you handle a coworker who constantly tries to tell you how to do your job

1. LisaKoski profile image94
    LisaKoskiposted 5 years ago

How do you handle a coworker who constantly tries to tell you how to do your job?

This coworker of mine is an older lady who used to have my position until she had to step down. I'm pretty sure that despite our major age difference I've still worked at this company longer than her. She's constantly passing judgement and extremely rude but only when no one else is around, otherwise she doesn't pay any attention to me at all. I told management but I still don't know what to do next time she bothers me. Any advice?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Put her politely in her place. She obviously has a grudge against you because she is jealous. This may seem over the top, But take a small voice recorder next time she starts belittling you. If you setting her straight doesn't work? Take the recording to management.

1. pmorries profile image75
      pmorriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It might be illegal to record another person without their permission in her state.  In closing, I do not mean to be a troll.

2. ParagonHRS profile image60
      ParagonHRSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

as pmorries said there would be issues with recording someone without their consent as this could be in breach of the Human Rights Act

3. JBrumett profile image61
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

Heh, well if she had to step down I'm assuming it's because she wasn't fit for the role?  I had a boss in a previous job that was always giving me good advice.  One thing he said to me when I complained about another persons work once was, "If you could do better, you'd be the one in charge."  So, after that I stopped complaining.  =-P  If she's passive aggressive or rude as you say though, she make just take offense to a comment like that and bother you more.  I guess there could be a more delicate way to put it perhaps.

4. pmorries profile image75
    pmorriesposted 5 years ago

Leave a copy of the Satanic Bible where she can "accidentally" see it. Once, you are sure that the troublesome colleague sees it, make sure to get rid of the book as soon as possible.

1. pmorries profile image75
      pmorriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

As an aside, I am only joking and ParagonHRS is giving useful and valid advice; however, my advice is more fun.

5. ParagonHRS profile image60
    ParagonHRSposted 5 years ago

Not too sure from your post if you are here line manager or not so I will try to answer both

In the first instance try to find a connection.  Despite the age you will have something in common even if in this circumstance it is that you have both held the same job.  Perhaps her self esteem has taken a knock from stepping down and maybe asking her for her advice on something relating to your role could build that bridge (You don't really need her help, you could just say "I can do this but ------ you used to do it faster, how did you do it).  This could provide her with self worth or it could work the other way around

Failing this I would take her to the side and look to discuss the issue, this may seem an absolutely horrid and awkward thing to do but sometimes honesty is the best policy (sometimes raising grievances can do more damage than good in working relationships).

Finally if nothing is sorted raise it as a formal grievance with your line manager (has to be in writing) if your company has a Human Resources department copy them in so they can guide the manager and stop them shuffling it under the carpet if that is what they have been doing.