jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever taken another writer's advice and it turned out to be really bad a

1. pmorries profile image77
    pmorriesposted 5 years ago

Have you ever taken another writer's advice and it turned out to be really bad advice?

Please do not mention the writer's name, and tell your story without hurting the innocent or the well -intentioned. For example, I could write a Hub about , "You really can't make money online by doing surveys, but you can more than triple your Spam Mail."

2. skgrao profile image72
    skgraoposted 5 years ago

If I take any advise I check it up and see how good it is.

3. Chuck profile image89
    Chuckposted 5 years ago

I don't ever recall simply taking and following another writer's advice and then having it turn out bad. 

I have learned many things from reading Hubs that offer tips and suggestions as well as from the HubPages' Learning Center. 

A year ago I took an online travel writing course taught by professional freelance writer and a class consisting of both aspiring writers as well as some like me who had done some publishing but were looking to learn more.  Our assignments were critiqued by both the instructor and each other and I received a number of tips on my work as well as sharing my comments on writing by others in the course.

In each case I consider every tip and piece of advice I receive and if I feel it is of value and would help my overall style of writing I begin to think about it as I write and begin to incorporate it in my writing.

While most of the tips and advice I have decided to use in my writing have had positive results, I can't think of any that have been "really bad".  Some have not worked out as planned but, with over 600 published Hubs, I feel I can afford to experiment a bit in my writing and judge the value of the tip or piece of advice used  based upon how well the particular Hub does in terms of traffic generated, ranking and what readers point out in the comments.

4. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

No. I rarely take other people's advice unless I first weigh the pros and cons. Most of the time we have a feel for whether something is good for us or bad because we're all different. Nature or God, if you prefer, has endowed us with instinct. We should rely on it and our better judgment.