jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What advice would you give a new writer for getting through writer's block?

1. TToombs08 profile image75
    TToombs08posted 6 years ago

What advice would you give a new writer for getting through writer's block?

2. trusouldj profile image79
    trusouldjposted 6 years ago

Put on your most soothing CD. The one that cheers you up when you're depressed; the one that acts like chocolate to pre-menstrual ... you get the idea.

3. Winaiva profile image60
    Winaivaposted 6 years ago

Someone once told me about a writing trick that I use. When I have writers block I write a description about a common item without using the name or any part of the name.

For example: Chocolate Ice cream (Cannot use chocolate, ice, or cream), Pick up trucks (cannot use pick, up, or truck), Kitchen Table (cannot use kitchen or table), and Bathroom sink (cannot use bathroom or sink).

I hope this is as helpful for you as it has been for me.

4. adrienne2 profile image62
    adrienne2posted 6 years ago

Every writer has experienced writer's block at one point or another. My suggestion would be whatever article or assignment you are trying to get through, the part you are stuck on start brainstorming.  This can also help if you are having trouble with getting started as well.  Write down ideas that come to mind, make a list; for example if you are writing about "The History of Jamestown" your list could look something like this:

a) What type of fashion do the people in Jamestown wear?
    b) Were did Jamestown get its name?
    c)  Are there get famous people who were born or once lived in Jamestown.

Then you can take your list do your research, and hopefully this will give you a jumpstart to getting pass your writer's block.

5. TToombs08 profile image75
    TToombs08posted 6 years ago

Those are some great ideas! Thank you! smile

6. raburcke profile image60
    raburckeposted 6 years ago

The trick is not to worry about it. You've got the knack, it'll come back!

7. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

Hop some hubs.  Get ideas for hubs by reading other hubs.

Just stop writing hubs and do the other activities for a while.  Like go to the forums page.  Go to the answers page.  You will eventually get ideas on hub topics.  Sometimes just being involved in hubpages is enough to generate topics to write on.

Remember you don't have to write every day or week.

working