jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How many hours can you have off between shifts?

1. LisaKoski profile image96
    LisaKoskiposted 5 years ago

How many hours can you have off between shifts?

My sister told me she was scheduled to work 13 hours yesterday and then has to work another 10 today, with only 6 hours break between both shifts. I've always been told you're supposed to have at least  8 hours between shifts so that you can rest. Is that true or is it based on whatever the company's policy is?

2. profile image0
    Chuck Foxposted 5 years ago

Unless there is some regulation pertaining to hours of service (as there is with Airline Pilots, Truck Drivers, etc.), it's left up to the company, and the individual.

The regulations are arbitrary, and more than a little silly. A truck driver can only drive 11 hours in a day, meanwhile, my little sister, the surgeon, can perform an 18 hour heart surgery, and that’s just fine.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

As a restaurant chain mgr, I had 3-4 hrs off between 12-hour+ shifts at times. During an annual Football Rivalry, I worked 48 hrs straight. T'was b4 Internet, so it took me longer to find I was paid below the minimum rate for the job and left it.

2. profile image0
      Chuck Foxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Patty Inglish, MS, I can remember as an Intern in college, there were many days like that. Days where you realize that, by the time you get home and get to bed, it'll be time to get up and come back in again.

Ahh the "good ol' days", lol.

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image86
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 5 years ago

When I worked at the famous amusement park, Disneyland, we were told that we had to have 12 hours' break from shift to shift.  If I worked til 9 pm I couldn't be scheduled again until 9 am the next morning.  This allows for eating, sleeping and commuting.  As far as I know, it is the law, at least in California.

working