jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has your boss ever asked you to fire someone on their behalf?

1. BSloan profile image73
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

Has your boss ever asked you to fire someone on their behalf?

I've seen many friends put in a position where their boss asks them to fire someone on their behalf.  Has this ever happened to you?  Explain....

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7241058_f260.jpg

2. Michael Tully profile image60
    Michael Tullyposted 5 years ago

Yes, I've been put in that position once. The boss was out of state on vacation, and a chronic troublemaker took advantage of that fact to begin to "poison" a new employee with unfounded rumors, blatant falsehoods, and disrespectful and insubordinate language about the boss. Someone in the office informed the boss of this by text message, and the boss called me with instructions to terminate the offender immediately.

I first asked the boss to give me those instructions in writing, by email, which she promptly did. Then I confronted the offending employee and told her that her services were no longer required. She disputed my authority to terminate her and refused to leave the workplace. I responded by threatening to call the police and have her removed (we have no security department in our company), and proceeded to do so. She immediately changed her mind, gathered her belongings, and headed out the door, loudly mouthing epithets and threats of legal action as she went out the door. End of story.

I'm glad I got my instructions in writing from the boss. I'm also glad I didn't try to physically remove this woman myself. To have done either of these things differently could have made a bad situation much worse.

BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow that must have been a stressful situation.  At least she didn't stay very long poisoning the rest of the environment for everyone.

3. drdspervez profile image66
    drdspervezposted 5 years ago

It,s very difficult to say You are Fired because my boss does not want you any more.There should be a proper reason for firing an employee.

DR. DURRESHAHWAR PERVEZ

BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your right, there should always be a reason, but some bosses don't have the guts to do the firing themselves & get their employees to do the dirty work.  Very few bosses are honest & upfront enough to meet with an employee & let them know

working