jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

We all know (or should) that sacrifice will be needed. Why aren't Obama and Rom

1. Perspycacious profile image83
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

We all know (or should) that sacrifice will be needed.  Why aren't Obama and Romney telling us?

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 5 years ago

Good question........We all see what is happening in Greece now that they have had to face reality and do some serious belt tightening.  No Politician wants this on his record especially during an election year.  Both of them would no doubt do what is required if they could find someone else to blame it on.
    What we really need is someone who is willing to be a one term president because he is willing to do what must be done to save the country.

1. Attikos profile image80
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you think congress would let him?

3. BSloan profile image75
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

I think neither Obama nor Romney are willing to tell us because no one wants to here negative news.  Everyone wants to know things will be okay.  No one wants to be the bearer of bad news, but everyone wants to be the hero who is able to fix things that have gone wrong.

In my opinion, I think if Romney wins, it will bring new optimism to this country and things will start to turn around.  Unfortunately, Obama may have many great ideas but people are just tired of waiting.  Everyone who has lost a job or going through economic pressures wants only to hear and know things will turn around for the good, and soon.

4. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

I think there's realistic doubt we can climb out of the hole. It's right deep. Unless government stops stymieing people who work, earn and hire, something I see zero (so to speak) sign of happening, it's not going to get better.

Assuming for the sake of the question that we can, however, no pol will say what would have to be done because all pols by definition want to get themselves elected, and if he's honest with the public he won't be. It's understandable. He can't accomplish anything without first doing that.

Fact is he can't accomplish much after doing it, either. People gain office only after having run on minimally relevant platforms, and the public is thereby unprepared to accept the policies that might help solve hard problems. Since we have a pluralistic political system with power placed in the hands of a number of representatives and institutions, they stalemate one another. Nothing of substantial effect gets done. We could live with that, in fact we could thrive with that, were government not the grossly fat parasitical monster it has become, but there you are. It is, and next to no pol I see is even talking about putting it on a serious diet.