jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are you a good public speaker?

1. jaydawg808 profile image91
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

Are you a good public speaker?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I am convinced that I am an excellent public speaker.  I can say that from the evidence I've recieved by way of invitations to speak and from feedback both verbal and in writing.  This was not always the case, of course.  My ability to hold an audience developed over time - around forty years of time.

If you Google my name - Tom Ware - you will find my website and it will give you an insight into my experience and interests as both a public speaker and storyteller.   My site is Tom-Ware-Public-Speaking.  I won't put a link on here because I don't think it's allowed.   However, if you go to my site and look under My Books, you will see a list of books I've written, some of which are on Public Speaking.   Am happy to email to you free of charge as an attachment if you wish.

Also, on my Hubpages site: tusitalatom.Hubpages, you should be able to find around 50 Hubs I have witten on Public Speaking.  So if you're serious in learning more about Public Speaking, you're welcome to read and copy whatever you feel you might need.

Have a good 2014.

3. stephanie mclain profile image60
    stephanie mclainposted 4 years ago

If you ask anyone that I've known for very long they would tell you that I never stop talking, but in public speaking situations I'm the last person you would call.

My first memory of public speaking still puts my stomach in knots. I was in the 6th grade and was expected to give an oral book report in front of the class on "The Hobbit." I loved that book and up until 30 seconds before it was my turn I was completely psyched about giving my report. In that short amount of time some switch was flipped and I just haven't been the same since. Midway through my report I had to umm, exit the room in a hurry, as I was so sick to my stomach.

In college I HAD to give speeches, but I've never been able to confidently stand in front of a crowd and not feel nauseous. In fact, I kind of envy people that can stand up and be completely free with their words, because when I think of public speaking the saying, "cat got your tongue," comes to mind every time.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

4. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Yes. Honestly, I learned from listening to my church pastor every Sunday for 11 years. Public speaking has since always been a strong point of mine. However, he ruined all other speakers. During every speech, I analyze and perfect their message and actions instead of focusing on what they are actually saying.