How can a person get over the fear of speaking in public?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (34 posts)
  1. crackerjack9 profile image75
    crackerjack9posted 10 years ago

How can a person get over the fear of speaking in public?

At my new job, it is my duty to run groups lasting 45 minutes to an hour. I am addressing people in recovery in a rehab. I am in recovery myself, so you'd think I would instinctively know what to say, but not so! I cannot seem to get over my fear of not saying the right thing, or not being 'motivational' enough...HELP!!! How do I get over my fear of public speaking?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8523296_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I worked in corporate world for a long time and often ran meetings.  But now, whenever I have to speak at a meeting, I feel the nervousness.  It's so silly. 

I focus on what I'm going to say and I keep my hands down, because I have a tendency to talk with my hands.  I also observe the audience.  If I'm talking to people sitting at a table, I try to look around the room beforehand.  When I start speaking, I try to look at different people.  It helps to focus on what I'm thinking about at the same time.  The tough part is when someone interrupts.  Then I forget what I'm talking about, so I bring notes.  I hope that helps.

crackerjack9posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you...I hesitated to bring notes because I felt that it would make me seem inexperienced, but I think I'll give it a try. Maybe no one will even notice!

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

It's okay to use props to give you something to "lean on" when anxiety gets the best of you. For example, using 3x5 cards with notes about the main things/themes to address in group can be helpful. A general format will help to keep you on track and not lose your train of thought, like going blank. I did a hub on this topic to address writing and public speaking.
    Also, if you are Christian, I have a scripture that helped me years ago to address my speaking anxiety. It helped me have more confidence in my knowledge and training and more faith in believing the right words will come. (Luke 12:11-12)

You have some interesting hubs...I didn't find the one on public speaking, but I did read the scripture. Thank you for some wonderful advice.

2. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't like promoting hubs in Q&A but it's about cure for blank brain. You will find it now.

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

As a drama teacher I've seen many cases of nerves and even fear before a performance. Some nervousness is natural, even necessary - to get the adrenalin flowing - but too much can undermine a performance.
    I guess the energy is the same as when you're 'out there' speaking to a group. It can be daunting but there are definitely ways to overcome this negative feeling. It's all about small steps towards the comfort zone!!
    Having prompt cards is ok, and notes are fine.
    If you go through what you want to say beforehand this can help calm nerves down.
    Take a warm drink, herb tea or something similar.
    Do a few warm up exercises, stretches and simple movements.
    Look forward - people are wanting you to do good things!!
    Laugh at yourself. Imagine a worse case scenario and move onwards and upwards from that point.
    Once you're up there, don't mention the fact that you're as nervous as hell. People will know that already!! Tell them how great it is to be talking to them.

I wish you all the very best.

great advice! I suppose I have been taking it a little too seriously. Maybe if I can worry less,  more room for improvement!

5. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 10 years ago

I remember hating public speaking, but now I love it, so I know this can be turned around.
    Have a list of things you want to cover, perhaps centered around a main theme, so that you can keep focused more easily.
    Focus on the others in the group instead of yourself, knowing that you have something useful to share with them.
    The suggestion of having a key scripture is great.
    Force yourself to speak slowly and clearly enunciate- when I was nervous, I tended to speak a mile a minute and the words sounded sloppy, making me feel worse.
    Know that every time you get up and speak, you are getting that much better at it; be encouraged.

All the best to you, crackerjack9.

Thank you...so far everyone has suggested I have some sort of notes on hand, so I think I'll give it a try!

6. the50marathons17 profile image83
    the50marathons17posted 10 years ago

I'm no expert, but I always thought that some fears are impossible to "get over". However, I do believe a person can control his or her fear of public speaking.

Anxiety is a good thing. Too much or too little is bad. If a public speaker can control his or her anxiety and use it constructively, then its for the greater good.

I agree with you 100%

7. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

Join a Toastmasters Club.  There you will learn by doing.  Toastmasters International is the biggest and probably the most value-for-money Public Speaking learning organization in the world.  There are around 15,000 clubs world wide.  They're in 114 countries and have around 300,000 members.

Look them up on http://toastmasters.org   I've been a member on and off since 1972.  Like you, I was terrified of public speaking.  This morning I spoke for an hour to a group of over a hundred people and love every minute of it.   This is the sort of confidence you can gain by joining Toastmasters.   I recommend it.

You are the second person to suggest toastmasters, I'm going to check it out right now!

8. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 10 years ago

You should remain calm, cool and collective. Be yourself, and talk about what you are going to address as often as you can to avoid that fear in speaking in public. Over time you will find it easier the more you talk the more you over come such fears.

You're right, I guess in time, as I talk about the same subject it would come a bit easier to me.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I did it by taking a college level public speaking course for credit.  I did the accelerated course which was very demanding, but also over with faster.  I ended up being a lot more comfortable with public speaking.  It will never be something I truly enjoy or look forward to I don't think because I am a pretty extreme introvert, but I can at least do it now without feeling like I'm going to have a panic attack. 

It was very comforting to me at the time to know I was with others who were also afraid.

wow...I didn't realize these courses were even offered. Maybe I'll look into them, too. Thank you!

10. copywriter31 profile image78
    copywriter31posted 10 years ago

Read this hub; I believe it will ease your fear. ...
    http://copywriter31.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … c-Speaking

I read the hub, great advice! Thank you for the pointers and for letting me know I'm not alone!

11. Ranveer Bhatia profile image61
    Ranveer Bhatiaposted 10 years ago

I personally feel that it is a fear of inexperience, or lack of knowledge regarding the subject that you are speaking in public. We think that there are people who may be more knowledgable than us and that is the problem. We have fear of failure, we have fear of making mistake. But above all we forget that we are human beings and humans are prone to make mistakes. Leaders, politicians, celebrities they all do mistake but they have no fear so why do you?

You just need to work on a single thing to overcome this problem and that is gather enough knowledge on the subject that you are going to address the public and then you'll automatically come to know what you are needed to do to make it successful.

Always think that you are greater than public, and they will listen to you what you will address them . This is what you have to make yourself understand not the public. If you can do this, you can easily overcome this problem.

Following are some advice that I will give you from my end-
    Always try to make a list of important things that you're going to emphasize before to give the speech in public.
    Don't try to memorize the whole speech then it might get jumbled up due to nervousness.
    Don't panic, don't be nervous just feel the moment that how do you sound like when you give advice or instructions to your family or children being a head of the family or as a father at home during your dinner.

you're so right, there is a fear of failure involved...I just hope this gets easier as time goes on.

12. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 10 years ago

Here are some easy things you can try to help you feel more comfortable and at ease when speaking in front of others:

1. Write a practice script to help you prepare what by to say.
    2. Practice speaking in front of a mirror, and be sure to smile, and stand tall and confident.
    3. See yourself speaking and succeeding, and believe you can do it!
    4. When you are in front of others, try eye contact, and if its challenging at first, try looking at the back of the room.
    5. Finally, rent out the movie The Kings Speech, great movie!

Thank you and I will check out the movie!

13. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Practice, practice, practice!  Seriously practice is what it takes to get over nervousness.

lol...yes, I agree I haven't had enough practice at it yet. Hopefully, in time, it will get much easier!

14. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 10 years ago

Public speaking is a common source of  fear  for  people who are introverted. Many of us would like to avoid this problem entirely, but this is hard to do. The best course of action is that one should review his thinkings about fear of speaking in public and try to understand that the fear will reduce to a great extent once he or she is prepared to speak before public.

Thank you for the advice...simple and well-said!

15. Melissa Nelson profile image60
    Melissa Nelsonposted 10 years ago

I used to hate speaking in public, because I don't think I speak very well. So If I write it, it tends to sound better. I have no idea why. My biggest problem is giving people eye contact and saying um way to many times. I get extremely nervous. However, I find that the more I speak publicly to a crowd the easier it gets for me and those feelings go away

1. Harishprasad profile image71
      Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Melissa, we all are human beings first and then the leaders, teachers,doctors,actors and so on. So we should always keep in mind that there is nothing to be afraid of one another. Sometimes,the less educated persons are more assertive & confident

16. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

There is nothing to panic about speaking before an audience. Fear arises when we assume ourselves as helpless and the audience as more intelligent than us. We should reverse the scene and should treat the audience as just a bunch of people who are as eager to hear us as we are to utter before them. Besides, we must be prepared for everthing about the subject of our speech and command everything with full confidence. When we begin our speech,there is a little bit of slowness in our speech for some moments but as we progress with our speech, more eloquence comes in our voice and we speak more confidently. Once we gain confidence in our speech, there is a smooth run and there remains no fear at all. After you have delivered two or three speeches, you gain an real art of speaking and you transform into a good orator. Just assume the audience as normal human beings like you and not as giants or species from another planet. As you talk to your friends and relatives,so you talk to the audience but with the only change that number of the persons has increased. This way, you will assert yourselves boldly and artfully.

17. welch moore profile image60
    welch mooreposted 10 years ago

by put fear away from his mind. and take courage and boldness even if he/she makes mistake. do not blame yourself, next time you will got it right.

18. Jason Matthews profile image81
    Jason Matthewsposted 10 years ago

The best way to get over a fear of public speaking is to practice. Start with small audiences, maybe even just friends and family, and practice speaking formally to them. This may seem weird at first, but once you are comfortable with a small group, it will be easier to speak before a larger crowd.

Please be encouraged because I have known many people who once had a great fear of public speaking. However, with time and with practice, they not only got over their fear, but they actually became excellent speakers.

19. Tricia1000 profile image64
    Tricia1000posted 10 years ago

I do a lot of public speaking myself.  Due to time constraints I could not attend any coaching.  I  thus tried an alternative way very effectively and can recommend it namely listing to subliminal CDs or DVDs. There are so many to choose from.  I listen to this before I have to speak in front of an audience.  It teaches you visualization and relaxing techniques and speaks to the subconscious mind not to be nervous.  But being very well prepared is a must as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)