If you were a part of the recruitment team, would you still hire fresh graduate

1. jemuelO profile image90
    jemuelOposted 4 years ago

If you were a part of the recruitment team, would you still hire fresh graduate applicants? Why?

Lots of classified ads or job openings are available online. As I browsed through the ads, some companies have specifically include the terms 'with experience is an advantage.' I wonder how would HR staff decide if several experienced applicants and few fresh graduates would apply for the same position. Is it possible for an inexperienced candidate to be hired for a particular position? If yes, what are the important characteristics that applicants must possess, in order for HR personnel to hire them?

2. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

I would. A "fresh graduate" would perhaps bring "fresh" ideas and life into the environment. They may also not have some bad habits and preconceived notions that can form with experience. Now, it would have to depend on what I already have in my existing staff meaning, if I only have one guy...I need them to have some experience but if I'm adding to the staff, I would prefer someone who is young and hungry and not yet burnt out by the grind as we do become so over time in many cases.

That said, this young recruit would have to be motivated, confident but not cocky, communicate well and be willing to learn and accept the fact that just because they've just graduated doesn't mean they know everything.

Very good question!

3. edoceo profile image61
    edoceoposted 4 years ago

I frequently hire "fresh" candidates for some of my software developer positions.  If the work *requires* experience of course a "fresh" candidate would not be considered.  But, when possible, there is a lot of value in bringing in "new blood".  In software especially new candidates may not be "stuck in the ways".

When applying it's important to point to your achievements too (for software - perhaps contributions to open-source projects).  Graduating is the not achievement to point to either, that's the expected one - what's an unexpected but relevant accomplishment or accolade you have received? 

The applications may say they are looking for "self starters" but in reality what we want to hire is a "team finisher" - that is: join our team, finish projects, get revenue, grow business.

Orient your resume/CV and interview answers around the message of getting things done, accomplishing, finishing - with a dash of fresh perspective.   I think that will make you an attractive candidate.

working