jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Can procrastination sometimes be considered a good thing?

1. Room of My Own profile image98
    Room of My Ownposted 4 years ago

Can procrastination sometimes be considered a good thing?

In the early months of the New Year, many people experience a renewed sense of energy and decide to tackle projects that they have been putting off. But is jumping right into something for the sake of "doing" useful over the long term? Is taking a more measured approach to starting projects a better idea? In what type of situations can procrastination actually be beneficial?

2. ColleenMcLain profile image61
    ColleenMcLainposted 4 years ago

I have a theripist friend who tells me that people who procrastinate are sometimes perfectionists - we'll hold off doing something until we can figure out how to do it right.
    I like that answer.

1. Kiwi Max profile image68
      Kiwi Maxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

excellent answer!

2. Room of My Own profile image98
      Room of My Ownposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I like that answer too, because I know that it's true for me. I tend to procrastinate when I am afraid of not doing the job I tasked with flawlessly.
      Thanks for your contribution to the discussion on procrastination!

3. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

I would say that putting off something for the purpose waiting until you can do it better is definitely a good thing.  Sometimes, if I want to explore something in music but feel I haven't reached that level of maturity, I will wait for a while and come back to it in a few months.  I don't know if you can still call that "procrastination" however.

Yes, sometimes holding off on tackling a project until you have stronger skills and Know-how can be a good idea, especially if it means that when you do start working on the project, you'll likely complete it faster. Thanks for commenting!

4. meletakery profile image60
    meletakeryposted 4 years ago

With renewed sense of energy, I presuppose that you mean "can delaying or postponing something be considered a good thing if done for the right reasons?"
    This would then stipulate that procrastination is actually beneficial when employed by the individual for valid reasons.  The reason for delay or postponement could include safety, risk, resources, etc.

Great point. Sometimes jumping into a project that we aren't qualified to handle and don't have the resources to complete can be risky. Where safety is involved, I think holding back can be the wisest thing to do. Thanks for participating in the Q&am

Closed to reply

working