jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What are the 10 factors which causes highly intelligent people NEVER to be promo

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What are the 10 factors which causes highly intelligent people NEVER to be promoted in the

corporate world or at least, not being promoted to their commensurate intellectual potential?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8849330_f260.jpg

2. gitachud profile image91
    gitachudposted 3 years ago

Highly intelligent people find it difficult to play corporate political game and are always perceived as a threat by their seniors. They also appear aloof in the workplace and this creates many enemies who will work tirelessly to sabotage their career progression.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

So CORRECT, RIGHT ON THE MONEY.  Highly intelligent people AREN'T going to play game and can detect BS miles away.  That often DOESN'T sit well w/superiors who tend to love sycophants as those who are intelligent prose some type of unease to them.

2. profile image0
      JustCraftyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think I have found an answer that I have been looking for.  My new boss has been assigned to my territory after two years and I have been here for twenty and she throws every curve at me to get me to quit but I have the intelligence to dodge them.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Some people are "book smart" and others are "people smart".
    Climbing the corporate ladder requires being liked/admired by the "right" people and doing a certain amount of socializing and politicking.
    Oftentimes "highly intelligent" people refuse to play the game. However I once had an instructor who stated: "Intelligence is the ability of an organism to (adapt) to it's environment."
    In other words a "highly intelligent person" would figure out what he or she needs to do in order to get what they want . hmmmm

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

AHA, I did a hub on the importance of being likeable in the corporate world.Those who are deemed likeable are more likely to get the choice assigments & right corporate strokes which make them MORE likely to get promoted.

4. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

They have to learn how to influence people. People are open to influence. It is a science in itself. Like the salesman who skillfully leads a customer to buy, there are techniques that have been around for centuries. There are also spiritual methods that are even more powerful. But if a person does not know how to influence people, the chances of being promoted are slim.

5. Jeff Charles profile image76
    Jeff Charlesposted 3 years ago

What causes competent workers to be constantly passed over for promotions?

Two words: Emotional Intelligence.

Or lack thereof. If you want to get promoted, doing your job well is just one part of it. You could say that being competent is the foundation, but competence alone won't get you promoted.

You need to be able to deal with people effectively. This means having a very high level of emotional intelligence.

Emotional intelligence enables one to understand and read other people. It also enables one to understand how to deal with each person on an individual level.

People with high emotional intelligence know how to play the political game. They understand who they need to "sell" themselves to in order to push the odds in their favor. They also know what these people want to see in order to recommend a promotion.

Playing the politics game can be challenging, but if you want to be promoted, you have to do it. It doesn't mean you have to sell your soul or use cutthroat tactics. It just means you have to do what's necessary to position yourself for that next move up.

working