Do smart people scare you?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image58
    kdawsonposted 12 years ago

Do smart people scare you?

Do you think "average" people are frightened by "intelligent" people.  I don't consider myself that intelligent, but apparently come across that way and it seems to put some people off.

2. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

Intelligent people never scare me, but slick passive aggressive people do scare me.
    Intelligence also needs a reference point.

3. Capedium profile image70
    Capediumposted 12 years ago

No!.. They don't.. I realize that smart people are usually dumb.. Being smart is not thesame as being wise

4. ArtzGirl profile image73
    ArtzGirlposted 12 years ago

We had discussions about this in some of the chat threads that I was a part of about 4 years ago. 

The truth of the matter is that people can specialize in specific areas but most likely will not be an "expert" or "intellectual" across the board. 

For instance the doctor that spends a number of years in school achieving their degrees and specializations will probably not be the same person who is adept at maintaining their books for their taxes.  Both skills are something that require years of study... so it is important to realize that both people may be an expert in their field, but an accountant is not going to be able to do open heart surgery in the same manner that the surgeon would be able to.  Likewise, the surgeon is not going to know as much as a CPA when it comes to being able to do his taxes.

I think that perhaps it is in the way that people talk, which may be more off-putting than just the fact that they are smart or intelligent.  People who rattle off a lot of very fast "over your head" type jargon are going to be perceived as being overly intelligent.  If you are wanting to bridge this gap where you appear less off putting, slow down your speech and don't use words that would require the average person to go and look them up in a dictionary.  Bring your speech and conversation to the level of the audience's level.

As an advertising and communications major, the average age that you are trying to reach is about a 5th grade level.  When you talk above this, you may leave some people behind... or scratching their head thinking that you are overly intelligent.

But the goal of all communication should be to communicate... not talk over someone's head!  Right?

------------

If you are chomping at the bits for more intellectual conversation-- then start hanging out with people who have your same area of interests... and jargon.  This should help quite a lot!

5. Joelipoo profile image76
    Joelipooposted 12 years ago

Intelligent people don't intimidate me at all. There is a difference between a smart person and someone who wants you to believe they are smart. Smart people just blend in with everyone else. The ones who try to flaunt their intelligence only make themselves look silly. It's not intimidating at all; it's comical.

1. alaamiahclean profile image60
      alaamiahcleanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hello Joelipoo
      This is one awesome blog article.
      Really thank you! Will read on...

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

Smart people do not scare me. People who are not smart, but think they are really scare me. These are the people who have a little bit of knowledge, but do not have the background, understand the consequences and are unwilling to believe that there opinion is not the only opinion. They really scare me.

7. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

I appreciate common sense and wise judgements.   

You can spend a small fortune educating a fool, and all you will have to show
    for it, is, an educated fool.

Neither, would I describe myself as " intelligent", but I know enough, to trust my own thinking............and to learn from my errors, not to be led into more of them!

8. biancaalice profile image60
    biancaaliceposted 12 years ago

Smart people are great! If someone is intimidated by an intelligent person it's because they are insecure with themselves and their own knowledge.

An intellegent conversation with someone who knows more can be a great opportunity for a person to learn from them. If you are scared by someone who is smart, then a suggestion would be to be a sponge and learn as much as you can from that indivdual.

9. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

It isn't smart people I'm afraid of. Instead what scares me is ignorance and those who have no intellectual curiosity about things.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY!

10. joanake profile image60
    joanakeposted 12 years ago

well it does seem to me that people who are put off by others that they deem as brainy or geeky are just people who like to think shallowly. Yes it does sound a tad offending although my point here is pretty simple. If you feel that a simple life without any worries or thoughts is a good life (well lived) and it works for you that's great. Because of their simplistic nature they find that intelligent people are too overwhelming and throws them off balance. They'd rather shut these intelligent or brainy people out to continue in their idyllic lifestyle.

Personally I feel that we're in this life to achieve whatever we want to do and for me I want to learn as much as I can on things that I like or am curious about. Smart people to me are inspirational that they have already figured out and understood so many things that doesn't make much sense to me. I see them as a window of opportunity - a gateway where I can learn more in a customized way (ask questions and have them explain to me in layman's terms as opposed to reading chunks and chunks of terminologies).

I guess at the end of the day it really falls back on an individual's viewpoint of life. Not one POV is right and another to be condemned but I think many would agree that the world can be a better place if there are smart people who are accepting and work together to make a change.

11. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12108949_f260.jpg

Of course, average people are frightened by highly intelligent people.  The average person follows a certain paradigm of terms of thinking, acting, and in beliefs.  They are accustomed to familiarity and in thinking/acting/ being inside the box.  The highly intelligent person, on the contrary, believes in going beyond the comfort zone.  He/she also contends that there are various avenues and paths regarding thoughts, actions, and beliefs.  The highly intelligent person analyzes and goes outside the accepted societal paradigms which is why he/she is deemed strange, weird, and other negative pejoratives. 

The highly intelligent person because he/she thinks differently is a threat to the average person who refuses to go beyond the particular parameters of his/her comfort zone.  While the average person automatically and monotonously do things because that IS the way it has ALWAYS be done, the highly intelligent person refuses to accept such notions if he/she feels that the latter is nonsensical or atavistic. The highly intelligent person believes in being a pioneer, visionary, and doing things that others are afraid to do and those latter components are which the average person finds to be highly contentious.  He/she does not believe in rocking the boat and hate people who dare to question the societal sacred cows.

No, highly intelligent people do not scare me at all.  In fact, I LOVE highly intelligent, even prodigious people.  At least, I can have a meaningful conversation with them without speaking in monosyllables and dumming myself down in order to be understood.  It is the average person who frightens me by their mediocrity.

12. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

Y'all ain't got to bee skared uf me!  I mae bee smart, but I won't due yew know harm!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)