jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Did your college &/or postgraduate degree serve you well socioeconomically? Wer

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Did your college &/or postgraduate degree serve you well socioeconomically?  Were you able to

obtain a  job/career commensurate with your degree soon after college &/or graduate school or did you have to work years in Mcjobs i.e. jobs that did not require a college level degree before you obtained a job/career that was commensurate with your particular educational level?  If you had to do it over, would you have  picked a more relevant major if you had to work years in such Mcjobs before obtaining such a job/career? Or if you came from a more affluent background, did you wait for years before obtaining a job/career commensurate with your educational level?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12136337_f260.jpg

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12136375_f260.jpg

I initially received a honors undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree. About 2 months before I graduated I interviewed for a job with Kimberly Clark and was hired to begin as soon as I graduated. When I immigrated to the United States 3 years later I was hired as a teacher immediately.
    A few years later I went to graduate school and maintained my teaching team leader position. My final year of graduate school (4th year) required a paid internship under a practicing psychologist so I received a leave of absence from my school district finished my internship and was immediately hired full-time as a professor at the college I still practice psychology and profess at...

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

EXCELLENT INDEED!

2. connorj profile image76
      connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

As I tell my students, the most difficult degree is your undergraduate. The easiest your Masters... and the second easiest your Doctorate. The higher the degree the less you have to work and the higher the reward...

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is SO TRUE.

3. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

My Bachelor of Nursing got me a job from the beginning, and I've always had one (aside from 6 weeks between jobs - holiday, and finding a new one in the recession wasn't....easy).

I enjoy my job, and whilst not paid as highly as in some other countries, I enjoy doing it in my home country.  It's not all about the pay - though with a small child and a huge mortgage....the pay comes in handy!

4. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

My degree has come into use in recent years, but it was an extremely long hard struggle.  Getting a college degree isn't enough; what's just as important as your major is networking and making connections before you graduate.  That's why I wrote this hub:  http://sayyestolife.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … Experience
    In it, I mention a co-worker who majored in Art, and was earning a good living on a part time job.  On the other hand, a Stanford student had just graduated with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, then got his first job - packing boxes!
    Getting a college degree is NOT the be-all and end-all of everything.  Lives have been ruined pursuing it!  If you go that route, make sure you do it RIGHT!

working