jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What's most difficult job interview question that you have encountered?

1. juderes profile image76
    juderesposted 2 years ago

What's most difficult job interview question that you have encountered?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

I actually saw this question in a Questionnaire I had to complete; a Psychological test to find out my suitability to go on an Antarctic expedition way back in 1976.  The question was:  "Who are you?"

As it was, I wrote a fairly long answer explaining to the examiners that this is a very profound question and that people can spend a lifetime endeavouring to find out the answer and not reaching any definite conclusion. 

I must have answered it - and the other questions asked - okay, for I did get the job.

1. juderes profile image76
      juderesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!

3. juderes profile image76
    juderesposted 2 years ago

One of the interviewer asked me: Why I shouldn't hire you? I thought he's going to ask: Why I should hire you?

This is a tricky question. I answered, you shouldn't hire me because later on I'm gonna take over your position. Lol.

4. serenityjmiller profile image75
    serenityjmillerposted 2 years ago

"Where do you see yourself five years from now?" That one trips me up every darn time, because the answer changes with every year that goes by. Besides that, looking back, none of my answers to that question have ever been even slightly accurate. smile

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

"Is there anything else I should know?"

Seems like a fairly simple question that one could even answer with "no", but it tripped me up so badly that I'm pretty sure my answer lost me the job. I said something about wanting to move up in the company, which implied I wasn't all that interested in this specific position.

6. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 2 years ago

Why did you wear the exact same pin-striped suit as me?

7. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

"How many kids do you have?--oops, I guess I'm not supposed to ask that.... (smile)"
    I have been asked this twice in the past in two separate interviews for a high-level position by two separate companies. Both times I went ahead and answered their question politely and gracefully (I have several kids) and both times I was offered the position. I have come to the conclusion that when this question is asked under certain circumstances, it is code for either "we're about to offer you this job...can you honestly do it with your work/life balance?" or "we're about to offer you this job...do you need us as much as we need you?". They may also have asked it to help decide on the salary. I took one of the offers, but not the other.